spring reverb Damping device

Started by markphaser, January 22, 2006, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markphaser

Is there a Damping device for a spring reverb like some foam or something to change the Decaying or jarring sound of the spring Reverb?

When i palm mute on my guitar like what surf guitarist use to do it makes the spring reverb jar and decay different how can i get
these sounds without palm muting my guitar?

I know changing the Springs changes the Delay time but when palm muting on the guitar its changes the attack/decay or something
to make the spring reverb response to its input different to make it sound like its jarring or that springy sound

When palm muting the strings it makes the string decay faster but it also changes the spring reverbs input sound and how it give a different result on its output it changes the delay time and reverb effect from palm muting. All i can think of is it changes its input current driving the transducer but still its a damping effect more than just less current

markphaser

How does the EH Holier Grail get a spring effect because it electronic how did the circuit or what stage produces this Springy effect done electronically please? its analog electronics doing a spring reverb effect how?

The Tone God

Quote from: markphaser on January 22, 2006, 08:08:20 PMIs there a Damping device for a spring reverb like some foam or something to change the Decaying or jarring sound of the spring Reverb?

Some reverb tanks have a "lock" feature that clamps the springs so they don't get damaged during transportation. I haven't heard of one that you can use on the fly.

Quote from: markphaser on January 22, 2006, 08:12:51 PMHow does the EH Holier Grail get a spring effect because it electronic how did the circuit or what stage produces this Springy effect done electronically please? its analog electronics doing a spring reverb effect how?

I belive it uses a digital IC.

Andrew

markphaser

Thanks for the information

When i palm mute my guitar strings why does it change the spring reverbs Delay time? or attack and decay of the spring?

Mark Hammer

The loudest part of any note is just when you pick.  When that part of the note reaches he springs, it shakes them very hard.  That initial shaking changes how the springs react to the rest of the note.  When a player mutes the strings with their hand, that reduces the initial "shaking", so that the springs react better. 

Can you mimic the palm muting?  Yes and no.  What some spring reverb units do is include a peak limiter so that the springs are never shaken too hard, no matter how hard you pick.  Some people would say, though, that this would not copyu palm muting exactly because palm muting also changes the tone and the note sustain, and peak limiting simply prevents the springs from being shaken too hard.  Neither one is "better", but they do not sound exactly alike.

markphaser

Thanks Mark Hammer

when palm muting it makes the audio more like a trigger pulse signal?

Would using a Decay pedal makes it more like palm muting?

petemoore

Get some silk, like they use still for gunsights, it has the most 'elastic memory' of any known fiber. Try shorter and longer lengths of it tied off and connected to the springs in the middle, near the driver, and near the output transducer.
  I'd imagine the transducer, being 'a speaker with no cone' has suspensions and damping already, tightening the silk would add damping to the springs, of course as always, the high end will probably be attenuated first, of course this could also be compensated fro in the driver amp.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markphaser

thanks

What kind of silK?

I put the silk on transducer or spring?

petemoore

What kind of silK?
  Probably expensive, but you wouldn't need much, a gunsmith that works on old guns with crosshair sights may have some, google for that I guess.
I put the silk on transducer or spring?
  I would, only if I was careful, and had lots of time to mess with stuff, figuring I could improve on what is commercially available [reverb] by trying something...that at first glance might seem slightly outrageous.
  But you did say damp the reverb, and even placing a small sheet of paper in the spring, or tieing 'something damping' to the spring would damp it...as far as exactly...I'm just rambling...but I've made reverb from old *Slinky, and reverb springs with my own driver / recovery...
  I use a TONE CORE Echo Park, or...the Stage Center Reverb [OA Driver/recovery spring reverb]...which is a great project, worth it for me because I really like natural reverbs, tank was like 25buxx, the rest was pretty easy for me...I could mess with dampers on it, but I don't think I'll have the time or inclination.
  'added' Dampers might  work real good, you could voice the rest of the unit for less bass or something and get the driver to drive harder..etc.

markphaser

'added' Dampers might  work real good

What Dampers would work?

petemoore

Put a ring on the spring, for extra clang !!!
  Just kidding.
  I'd like to discuss a specific reverb, and try pre/post voicing mods first.

Squeal

I like that ring idea. I wanna try that on my crate practice amp's spring. Only problem is it's mounted vertically. Figure somethin' out.

Eb7+9

Quote from: markphaser on January 22, 2006, 08:08:20 PM

Is there a Damping device for a spring reverb like some foam or something to change the Decaying or jarring sound of the spring Reverb?

A simple trick that guys used in the 70's on Accutronic tanks was to tie a rubber-band between the two springs ... it helps reduce the "ping" from transients and also shortened the decay - this depending on how tight the band is tied ...

~jc

markphaser

Thanks guys for the help

I'm trying to changes the Currents drives curve/slope so its decays so when the current drives the transducer it have a different decay,curve,slope so it shakes the spring and reverb different how do i do this please?

Joe Kramer

Hi!

You can also damp reverb springs with oil.  Use a Q-Tip and swab a light coating of 3-In-1 or silicone-based "Super Lube" along the entire length of the springs.  This cuts down the high end and the twang, just like a well-used set of guitar strings.

Joe

Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

petemoore

Then you can use solvent if you get too much on...N/P...gummi-spring ?
  springs are tempered metal of some sort, heating them [and not the transducers] would change the 'resonance' of them, less of I I'd think.
  Stick a pipe cleaner or something inside the tube spring? Different transducer/driver type? Just find a big cement room, wet all the walls down and play loud...hallway/sidechamber accessories used when necessary/available.

markphaser

I need to change the Sustain whats the reverse or recipical of sustain?

Whats the opposite of sustain?

Different Transducers have different frequency responses?

Would changing the transducer/driver change the Drive and frequency to the spring?

How do i change the Transient response of the transducer or springs?

markphaser

I'm trying to make the reverb tank have a "Pizzicato parameter"

markphaser

a Volume pedal with a Trigger pulse CV control voltage?

I need to get a curve/slope like a pizzacatto

How do i get this type of curve/slope?

What type of gate or trigger would do this?

RDV