Let's play "Guess the Polished Turds" : )

Started by CS Jones, January 23, 2006, 07:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CS Jones

Bernardduur

Nice.... I have one pedal that is like the same, only a bit smaller
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

MartyMart

Judging by the "size`' of the boards, re-housed "dano's"   or possible Behringers  !!

Nice work BTW

Marty
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

billou_35

Very nice !!  :D
Curious to know what is inside ?!  ???

Marcos - Munky

freak scene

the second to closest to the camera in the second from the top is a dano pastrami.

Mark Hammer

"Polished" or "Cornished"? :icon_wink:  Nice re-house. Very gig-friendly, regardless of the contents.

Roobin

Is that using RGKeen's method of housing? I found it the other day, and it looks extremely versitile, wiht the added benefit of being cheap...

RDV

They look as good as any other red x I've seen(my workplace has been blocking content from many site's including my own). Knowing you Clay I'm sure they look wonderful.

I really wouldn't want rehouse the new Fab series as I think they're pretty tough for plastic. They sound real good too!

No, I don't work for Dano... are they hiring?

RDV

mgrEIGHT

Quote from: Roobin on January 23, 2006, 11:40:03 AM
Is that using RGKeen's method of housing? I found it the other day, and it looks extremely versitile, wiht the added benefit of being cheap...
What exactly would RGs method be?

Doug_H

Looks like a "mini David Gilmour" rig, Clay. For any "mini David Gilmours" out there... ;D

Really looks great!

Doug

CS Jones

Hey Marty - I haven't bought any of the Behringers. I sure would like to but I'm afraid Puretube will never talk to me again if I do.

You guys are right. They're all Danos. All de-switched, rebuffered or rid of superfluous buffering and slightly readjusted. Good eye Freak Scene - that's the Pastrami. It's an OA output clippers to ground circuit with the pot as a VR feeding the gain to the other half of the OA which is set up well  IMO. I like it a lot after it's tweaked a bit. It's nice and crunchy. All the mini ODs can be made usable. They suffer from lack of controls. Once you hunt down the gain setting resistors you can knock them down to whatever suits you and get a line of decent OD tones going. The modulation effects suffer the same fate...too much gain. The Rocky Road is a perfect example. Once you straighten out whatever it is you consider it's "problem" you've got a really nice cheap effect.

Belly up...left to right
Surf and Turf Compressor (It is a Dynacomp - with 2 slight variations)
BLT Slap Echo (I prefer this PT2399 based delay over the 2 DIY ones I've buit - The App notes helped a lot when I went to draw this one out).
Tuna Melt Tremolo - just a great simple trem.
Pastrami OD
French Toast OD/Octaver - Exact and I mean exact copy of a Foxx Tone Machine. Take out the switching buffers when you bypass it.

I've got 6 or 7 more boards in different prep stages. I picked these first 5 to load simply because they were finished.
The cool thing about all the boards is that you can move them around after you've cut your loading holes since they're like little modules. You might have an extra hole based on the pedal e.g. the French toast has 3 -  but the 2 outermost holes with fit into any other boards slot. I'm going to put all the ODs in one enclosure, the modulation effects in another and whatever is leftover into the last. I want a set aside pedal for the Rocky Road because 1. I like that pedal so much and 2. I have to rig a special holder for the "ramp" control.

Total cost of this build was less that $100.
All the pedals were bought 2nd hand and, except for the swithes/jacks, I used parts straight from the scrap pile. In keeping with the spirit of the thing I used pieces of cardboard as sort of a board shock absorber (ref. CA/EPFM). I got these to stick together with used chewing gum (seriously) and I literally hard wired the boards to the chassis so that I didn't have to waste any screws. I reused as much of each pedal as I could which included the small LED indicators and most of their 4K7 resistors. I only lost a couple of parts here and there. On 4 of the 5 boards I switched the pots around to the other side and soldered them on that way so that I could have better access to the new daughter boards.

Roobin, yes...here's the reference
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/steelstud/steelstud03.jpg

Doug and Mark...I originally thought to call the thread something like "Poor Man's Cornish".

Mark, I didn't mean to kill your thread that time on the Dano stomp switch idea. This was just more along the lines of what I was thinking at the time. When you find the time maybe you can take that creative brain of yours and see what you come up with as a work around solution to keeping the original pots (so as to keep costs down) but shoring up or modding those little plastic knobs.
http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=40888.0

Edit... better ref for RG's box idea
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/steelstud/steelstud.htm

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: RDV on January 23, 2006, 01:56:49 PM
RDV

RDV, the good news is they are hiring.. the bad news is the $2.70 a day wage :icon_mad: Plus it's harder to get a green card in China.....

RDV

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on January 23, 2006, 07:10:39 PM
Quote from: RDV on January 23, 2006, 01:56:49 PM
RDV

RDV, the good news is they are hiring.. the bad news is the $2.70 a day wage :icon_mad: Plus it's harder to get a green card in China.....
...but I'd be so tall...

RDV