Attention****DSP programmers****Achtung

Started by Mr.Huge, January 25, 2006, 02:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Huge

Achtung all DSP programmers!
Please drop me an email if you have any experience with writing DSP algorithms... Especially if you know the Motorola 5600 series.  I might have something you'd be interested in... Also, please don't be afraid to sign an NDA (non disclosure agreement).
If you no nothing about DSP or micro controller code... you don't know what assembly languages is or C++... please do not respond to this... sorry.

-Mr. Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

Dan N

I can't speak assembly (can't even find it on the map!?!), but I did get a lot of C+'s in high school!

You want me?

I'll bring donuts!

Mr.Huge

Quote from: Dan N on January 26, 2006, 12:02:54 AM
I'll bring donuts!

Hmmm, donuts you say.... I'm Intrigued!

.... I'm looking for people with a DSP background, who also have Motorola DSK and compilers...

-Mr. Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Mr.Huge

Mark Hammer

zachary vex

Mr.Huge

Quote from: zachary vex on January 26, 2006, 02:49:44 PM
the tension is unbearable, Jeorge.  8^)
I do my best....

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 26, 2006, 02:44:23 PM
Link doesn't work....yet

Yeah... I saw... Oh well ... Line 6 you know....

A.S.P.

link worx - moves - ooops, but doesn`t intrigue me (sorry for ranting :icon_redface:...)

Mr.Huge

Quote from: zachary vex on January 26, 2006, 02:49:44 PM
the tension is unbearable, Jeorge.  8^)

Come on Zachary, you know you wanna do a little code writing! Seriously, you want to do some digital?
-Mr. Huge

tommy.genes

You should try the forums at http://www.kvraudio.com. There are lots of commerical developers there. It's focused mainly on native PC/Mac plugins (VST, AU, RTAS, etc.), but there is bound to be some cross-over to hardware DSP programming (e.g. Motorola).

I have a forum account over there though I hardly ever use it anymore. If you don't want to be bothered creating an account for yourself, I'd gladly post for you.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Mark Hammer

I feel like I'm watching some sort of throwdown in the high school courtyard....

I, for one, would love to see what Zach could do in a stereo context, especially given the flexibility of how the digital domain can mimic having many, many controls (remember that the same pot can be assigned to a different parameter if a different mode is selected).  The thought of someone with Zach's creativity and adventurous spirit having such a big palette to paint on....well, my picking hand is shaking like undoing a bra snap for the first time. :icon_mrgreen: (Um, that would be somebody else's, not one I'm wearing! :icon_lol: )

On the other hand, "Z-Vex" is a kind of brand, in the sense of an approach to design, and I wonder if it could be jeopardized as a brand by going in a direction so different as this.  I can't see the "analog halo" of his pedals glowing quite so brightly if a person can plunk down $60 and buy a digital module.  Price-point differences can lead people to see things in interesting ways, sometimes not for the better.  Whatever residue remains from the whole Filter Modeller escapade, and regardless of whether it has or hasn't been patched over, I think Zach would be right to be cautious and reflective of such a move, Jeorge.

Fact of the matter is that all those creative minds out there who have embarked on putting out their own lines of pedals, and hung in there precisely because of the sense of pride and satisfaction that comes from having your own ideas out under your own name, represent a great talent pool, but......  It's a bit like dumping your classicly beautiful wife (and highschool sweetheart) for a lipsticked silicon blonde who shows up in a Jag.  Exciting, yeah, but it doesn't feel as authentic as you need it to feel.

Of course, while we're being so naked and public here, this forum represents an exquisite portal for fresh creative ideas for your team.  I know some of them are seriously taking up the challenge or at least considering it.  I also know that those individuals themselves are open, willing to listen, and possessed of the same adventurous spirit as Zach (but with less to potentially lose).  Having Zach as "guest designer" is obviously a feather in the Line 6 cap, and maybe even a way of getting free advertising for Z-Vex, but it doesn't have to be there to benefit from the collective ingenuity of this place.

I know if *I* could program DSPs, I'd be interested....and if I was unmarried, 30 years younger and looked good in a Speedo, I'd probably stroll down the beach in Rio and try my hand at being a Casanova too..... :icon_wink:

Mr.Huge

I have no doubts that Zach could make some very cool DSP based effects. I'm not joking either about him coding up... Zach, I'd be more than happy to let you in, just say the word.
-Mr. Huge

The Tone God

I read an offer like this and I get a weird collection of conflicted feelings and view points. Analog vs. digital, employee vs. employer, independent vs. corporate, hardware vs. software, pushing boundaries vs. playing safe, bouteek vs. mass production, DIY vs. team, etc.

I probably could do the job, well I haven't used Motorola DSP but I could adapt if I had too, and have fun doing the job but I opt not too. For many reason but probably the biggest is that I'm still young. I have that rebellious "wanna cut my own path" thing going on that I have to get out of my system that is if I ever can. I want to do my own thing and see what I'm made of.

Speaking of which back to programming...damn timer interrupts. sigh.

Andrew

Mr.Huge

Well, what I am trying to do is open up a DSP hardware platform for people to build on... I'm not necessarily looking for designer for Line 6... but open up the world of DSP to creative minds. The EH POG uses a Motorola 5600 series DSP (same one as the ToneCore)... hell it uses the same CODEC as the ToneCore... I'd love to see industrious entrepreneurs develop their own DSP Algorithm and sell it on their own using the ToneCore as the hardware base. Much like what Keeley and Analog Mike are doing with analog Boss pedals.
-Mr. Huge

bioroids

That sounds really interesting. Really cool idea.

Too bad I have no experience with DSP (though I have a degree in programming including 8086 assembler, so I'm pretty sure I could learn) and I live a little far away (Argentina).

Good luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

Is there anymore information you can release or details we could inquire about publicly or would you need a NDA to discuss further ?

Andrew

Mr.Huge

Quote from: The Tone God on January 27, 2006, 06:38:17 PM
Is there anymore information you can release or details we could inquire about publicly or would you need a NDA to discuss further ?

Andrew

As you know, the ToneCore stomp boxes are designed as a modular system ( http://line6.com/tonecore/modules.html ), with the intention of potentially having third parties also develop and/or sell effects.  It is based on the Motorola 56364 platform (which lives in the base, or "dock", along with the power supply, CODEC, and analog circuitry), and the code is flash programmable into the module.   

The potential exists to sell new pedals with 3rd party effects, sell new modules by themselves, as well as to license and sell blank modules to 3rd parties for them to program and sell as they see fit. I'm sure there are many other options that are not presented here and can be discussed.

That's the good news. The bad news is that we have a very simple SDK (software development kit) or development system, and have not had the time & resources to develop DSP and micro controller sample code.  Unfortunately, we do not allow non-Line 6 employees to view the source code.
Furthermore, we do not provide the Motorola programmer & SDK or a compiler. There are some free downloadable programs that I can give links to.

However, we do have a preliminary document that details the platform and its architecture. 
I've said pretty much all I can say... the next stage is an NDA and getting the documentation...
We have talked to several people about the potential of being a "guinea pig" for this system, and if you are interested in this as well, we could talk about how we might proceed. 
Also, you really need to know how to write C++ and assembly language code and have some background with DSP. Once you get the docs and SDK you're on your own... no hand holding....

-Mr. Huge

Mr.Huge

"I don't know where I came from, I don't know where I'm going, and I don't know why I do the things I do."
-Evel Knievel

A.S.P.