Attention****DSP programmers****Achtung

Started by Mr.Huge, January 25, 2006, 02:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

I have my VST SDK somewhere in a cd... I guess the day digital can use at least 128Khz & 128 bits it will compete with analog devices. Human ears can "hear" those freqs that are up the 22khz limit. That is, when you are constructing a square wave suming sine waves, ie Fourier, those freqs up 22khz are needed to shape the final wave. That's why you can hear artifacts at high freqs in your cds. 44khz & 16bits is not enough. Also some medical researchers are questioning the 22khz limit.

Despite this, which will be solved quickly with newer and faster processors & free lance programmers, I will welcome any effort in the digital domain that help me to get rid of all the cables & pedals covering all the floor of my practice room... and those expensive retubing of my laney too.

Being a G5 addicted, I imagine the day I can plug my guitar into a powerbook, and with the aid of DSP, get the tone and feel of a good all tube amp.

Good luck.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

moosapotamus

I think the quote in my sig (below) pretty much sums up all my thoughts on the subject.
... and, it came from someone on this forum. :icon_cool:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Mr.Huge

That's it...? The chance to dig into digital scare everyone? I hope not...
-Mr. Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

troubledtom

check your email brother.
          - tom

A.S.P.

Sean, Mr. Coffee, Transmogrifox,  don`t seem to have discovered this thread yet...

(but maybe "B*hring*er has spotted it, and is looking for some weak spot to infiltrate/copicat "honour" it...)
Analogue Signal Processing

SeanCostello

Quote from: A.S.P. on January 30, 2006, 05:19:37 PM
Sean, Mr. Coffee, Transmogrifox,  don`t seem to have discovered this thread yet...

Discovered topic pre-thread. Don't have any good animated gifs for pro digital folks...

Quote from: A.S.P. on January 30, 2006, 05:19:37 PM
(but maybe "B*hring*er has spotted it, and is looking for some weak spot to infiltrate/copicat "honour" it...)

Line6 code copyrighted. 3rd party code will be copyrighted. Would not be surprised if Line6 gets design patent on Tone Core series. Plus, what 3rd party in their right mind would enter a business relationship with Behringer?

Sean Costello

David

Quote from: Mr.Huge on January 30, 2006, 04:59:45 PM
That's it...? The chance to dig into digital scare everyone? I hope not...
-Mr. Huge

Scared?  No.  Woefully unqualified?  Yes.  My C++ skills are proto-embryonic and my DSP knowledge (from a development perspective) is nonexistent.
Regretfully, I'll have to pass...   :icon_cry:

Mark Hammer

I think at least part of this dearth of replies is a bit like Uma Thurman complaining on a talk show that she can't seem to attract guys or get a date.  It's not that people haven't *toyed* with the idea, it's that they are a little intimidated by what they think are the standards they need to meet.  Like it or not, Line 6 stuff has a good reputation.  A lot of folks dream of being able to work in that milieu and turn out anything that good, but when push comes to shove the reflexive response is to think "Me?  I could never."

SeanCostello

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 31, 2006, 02:54:56 PM
I think at least part of this dearth of replies is a bit like Uma Thurman complaining on a talk show that she can't seem to attract guys or get a date.  It's not that people haven't *toyed* with the idea, it's that they are a little intimidated by what they think are the standards they need to meet.  Like it or not, Line 6 stuff has a good reputation.  A lot of folks dream of being able to work in that milieu and turn out anything that good, but when push comes to shove the reflexive response is to think "Me?  I could never."

Or, it could be that the work you need to do to develop such a pedal doesn't get done by posting to this board...

Sean

Hal

I have some decent asm knowledge, but no dsp.  I'm a fast learner, though :-D.

GFR

Once upon a long, long time ago, I did some assembly code for the TMS320 DSP chip. I also did some DSP coding in C and pascal, but not for audio and not real time. I have no idea on how hard would it be to get the Motorola kit here inBrazil.

zachary vex

Jeorge, what's up with this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Way-Huge-Pedals-Coming-Dont-pay-absurd-eBay-price_W0QQitemZ7389011401QQcategoryZ22669QQcmdZViewItemQQisPrinterFriendlyZ1QQpvZ1

from that page:

If you're like me, you're sick of seeing $200 Way Huge pedals going for anywhere between $500 and $1000.
Apparently Jorge has quit Line 6 is will be making new Way Huge pedals soon. That's right...new Way Huge pedals will be available in the near future.

Unless you like being taken advantage of by greedy eBay resellers charging absurd prices, you may want to sit tight.

Use this info as you see fit. Click here

puretube

another job offer!

this time for Mr. Tripps...

(scroll down to 10th post)
:icon_lol:

Quote"...please do it at the keeley camp! ;-)
Position Open for one Huge Dude!
;-)

robert"

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Seriously, here's a much likelier place to find music DSP guys & gals:
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~glmrboy/musicdsp/music-dsp.html
..feel free to sendme the usual 15% annual wage finder's fee :icon_smile:

cjlectronics

Not a problem...been coding microprocessors for years and fixing and modding guitar effects for many more.  I'm always up for a challenge...if the price is right!

CJ Landry
CJLectronics

zachary vex

anyone heard the rumors that Jeorge is partnered with Dunlop to re-manufacture the way huge line?

any substantiation?

RDV

Quote from: zachary vex on February 09, 2006, 08:11:14 PM
anyone heard the rumors that Jeorge is partnered with Dunlop to re-manufacture the way huge line?

any substantiation?
Oh, you're just trying to be provocative!

...and succeeding!

RDV

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It would certainly fit with the Dunlop game plan, except that the Way Huge pedals were never mass marketed enough to have universal appeal today (I could be wrong... I guess Dunlop have a market research department). High ebay prices don't always signify a mass market.

Mark Hammer

Well if such a rumour were true (and Jeorge said nothing about it in his note the other day), it might explain the mysterious appearance of 2-4 Way Huge pedals being named on the show "Love Monkey " the other night.  See the thread in OT.