tried the 1 Spot?

Started by choklitlove, January 26, 2006, 12:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choklitlove

i've been looking at this thing for a while.  $29.95 for it, the daisy chain, and adapters.  very tempting...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=151694

anyone tried it?  seems too good to be true.  anyone found that it doesn't perform well with any diy's?

here's it's compatability list (pretty impressive):
http://www.visualsound.net/docs/1%20SPOT%20Compatibility%20Chart.pdf
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

petemoore

"Yes, but not recommended for use with more than one Tone Core and other brands of pedals...It must be the current draw of the Tone Core is the reason they typed this, I wished they'd used 'with' instead of 'and' in that statement, because I plan on trying the One Spot With my DIY PEdals.
  I use the One Spot with all other pedals, daisy chained, except Rangemaster, it was just a touch noisier when other gainy or even phasey pedals were tried...Wahs, FF's, With everything else is like noise free as can be....AFAIKTell so far, I've read they're very quiet, that's why I decided to try one.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Been using two of them for a year or so. I use one for my pedalboard *in front* of my amp, and the second for effects in the loop of my amp. I have found situations where adapter operation is very slightly noisier than battery operation, but I can't say if any other PS would be quieter. Those seem to be house wiring issues, and situations where I'm on the same line as lot's of digital stuff (synth's).  Basically, I would say - "What the heck are waiting for?!".  :icon_lol:

Kerry M

choklitlove

thanks for the response.  i'm definitely trying one.  it costs about the same for some replacements anyway.
i'm not going to need it to power anything outrageous.  a big muff, holy grail, and a couple diys.  the mxr gate and the blue box.
i'm guessing it will work fine.  i'll let you guys know if anything goes wrong with the diys.

plus, that 9volt adapter (connects to a battery clip) is very cool.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

MartyMart

Had one for over a year now.
First one was a "Duff" and produced horrible "squealing" noises !
Replacement is 100% fine with a mixture of Boss/Ibanez/DIY etc.
I have not tried sharing with a Line 6 , they have their own PSU

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Bernardduur

My Pearl pedals begin to do weird things when powered by this and when more than one pedal is powered.

Also, I personally find the compatability list a bit easy to make: just put any 9V operated pedal on it and you can make a nice list.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

MartyMart

That's odd !!
Just tried it with the following in series:
Maxon Comp, DIY TS9, Boss DS-1, Boss PQ4, Roto Machine   ..... no problem or noise
Then swopped the PQ4 and Roto for a Pearl Flanger and Pearl Octave ..... no problem or noise  ??

MM     :icon_eek:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

NoFi

QuoteMy Pearl pedals begin to do weird things when powered by this and when more than one pedal is powered.

That sounds a bit like the typical "duff" one spot martymart was talking about.
I had one from a bad batch (bought @ musik produktiv in Germany) and it hissed, and the more i added pedals, the more it hissed.
I mailed VS, they were aware of the issue, and they promptly replaced it.
The one spot is a great product, i'll soon need another one !  ;D

PeterJ

I had an issue powering a Boss Chorus -- gave me a whistling sound that I wasn't getting from a battery. Tried a Danolectric DA-1, noise went away. Might have something to do with the switching mode-- the friendly folks here at the Forum suggested I try a non-switching, regulated PS, which seems to be the answer.

But on all my other pedals, no noise, no problem.
Duct tape and particle board!

Bernardduur

Quote from: MartyMart on January 26, 2006, 05:15:25 AM
That's odd !!
Just tried it with the following in series:
Maxon Comp, DIY TS9, Boss DS-1, Boss PQ4, Roto Machine   ..... no problem or noise
Then swopped the PQ4 and Roto for a Pearl Flanger and Pearl Octave ..... no problem or noise  ??

MM     :icon_eek:

Well, I haven't tried it with my Octaver, but iy happened with my Phaser and Analog delay..... Rest of the pedals I used did not react or so, no hissing or else.... just complete chaos and madness...

For a while I powered these pedals with batteries
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

scaesic

the godlyke power-all is pretty much the same, its really good, provides a lot more current and a lot quieter than any others.
i went to maplina nd bought myself another 5 dc adapters daisy chained, so now i can power 9 pedals, yes!
the only annoying thing is the diasy chain dc plugs are straight and not right angle, but its not much of an issue.

R.G.

Nota bene -

The 1Spot is 1.7 amperes (1700 ma) of 9Vdc, designed specifically for and tested to use in pedals. You can run quite large pedalboards on them.

There are large numbers of 1Spots in use, with a very low trouble report rate.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Processaurus

I had a super weird problem with a pedal specific generic switching PS the one time I tried one, it made an indicator LED on on of my DIY pedals pulse brighter and dimmer slowly, like when Macs are on standby.  Too weird!

R.G.

The 1Spot was tested extensively with pedals for compatibility and noise. I'd guess that a generic probably has not.

A lot of switching power supplies have problems with loads that are too small. They go into a limit-cycle thing where the voltage overshoots, so the supply shuts down until the voltage drops, then they light back up, overshoot... It's easy to get into if you're not really careful in your controller design, or if you fail to have a minimum load on the PS.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

TheBigMan

I've used a Godlyke for a good while.  I had planned to get a 1-spot as they came with a UK plug, but the first batch that came over here seemed to have quite a high failure rate.  These were the older 1A output ones IIRC.  Since then though I've heard nothing but good reports.

petemoore

Best adapter purchase I've ever made.
  Running batteries wasn't too bad, but when phasers and stuff with more current draw gets involved, the reliability of a nice, queit power supply is...priceless.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Processaurus

Quote from: R.G. on January 26, 2006, 08:58:42 PM
A lot of switching power supplies have problems with loads that are too small. They go into a limit-cycle thing where the voltage overshoots, so the supply shuts down until the voltage drops, then they light back up, overshoot... It's easy to get into if you're not really careful in your controller design, or if you fail to have a minimum load on the PS.

Thanks for clearing that up, it was a Tim Escobedo Tripple Fuzz, which I imagine has a tiny current draw.  Of course the first thing I thought was the pedal was broken in some weird new way I'd never heard of before, and promptly pulled it apart looking for problems. :icon_redface: