Thunderchief build - help/guidance needed

Started by Bucksears, January 26, 2006, 11:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

Ok. I finished up the Thunderchief, keeping it as the stock build, no tone stack. I haven't changed out the first .68uF cap for a 250uF yet, and I really like how this sounds.
As far as a tonestack goes, in the tips section on the Thunderchief build, it mentions putting a tone stack and buffer between Q2 and Q3.
So I have two questions:
1) Following the path of Q2/trimmer junction --> 22n cap --> Q3/1M junction on the schematic, would the tonestack go between the 22n and Q3/1M junction?
2) What is the 'buffer' portion of the Marshall tonestack? The tonestack I tried used just a 33k res, a 470p cap and two 22n caps, plus the control pots.

I guess now I can see what all of the fuss is about with this circuit. High gain (as far as vintage amps go), tube-like sound and a range of distortion available.
I'm definitely looking to add a tonestack and a toggle for the 1st .68uF cap, maybe for the final cap as well.

Thanks,
- Buck

Bucksears

Thanks RDV!
I whipped up my own PCB for the Thunderchief a few months ago (with the Marshall tonestack included) and the only difference I can see in the updated Thunderchief schem is the addition of the non-trim-connected J201 and 10k resistor between Q2 and the tonestack. The way I had it with the same tonestack in the same location, the sound was kinda crap; I guess the extra JFET and resistor makes a difference.
I should be able to run an additional J201 and 10k resistor offboard until I can get the PCB modified. ('not about to do a complete rebuild for just two parts)

Sweet. This thing sounds awesome; very open and tube-like. Can't wait to hear it with the 220uF cap in there.

- Buck