Small Stone DC Input

Started by solarplexus, January 29, 2006, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to change the DC Input of the small stone EH4800 to a Boss style Adaptor, but the metal one from small bear electronics, not the plastic one.  The reason why I am asking this is to be able to power it with a TU-2 for a more regulated power source to remove hum from my pedal board.  Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
DIY Poser.

scaesic

i think EH use the ooposite polarity from boss.

scaesic

i think EH use the ooposite polarity from boss.
if this is the case, you could get a patch dc lead, which reverses the polarity, and plug that into your small stone.

R.G.

Here's the problem. Boss and most other power adapters use positive on the outside of the DC power plug. The center is negative. The pedals are negative ground in almost all cases. Metal DC power jacks in general have the outer conductor shorted to the external mounting.With the effect ground connected to the inside connection of the power connector and also to the metal shell for hum prevention, a metal DC power jack connects the positive to the shell as well, shorting out the power supply.

To use standard Boss compatible adapters, you must insulate the outer barrel of the power plug from the effect case/shell, and no metal DC power jacks that I've ever found does this. So I've always gone for the plastic cased DC power jacks.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.