Inside of the new Behringer VD-1

Started by Bernardduur, January 31, 2006, 01:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

Check it out; I thought the "newer" BMP's had a small PCB (in contrast to the enclosure), but you have to check this out........

Here ya go!

Oh, and scroll down to see them!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Mark Hammer

More specifi9cally, here:  http://tinypic.com/jrz61h.jpg   and here:  http://tinypic.com/jrz5zt.jpg

Man, that's a whole lotta empty real estate in there!  If anything could be advanced to support the contention that Behringer was deliberately attempting to cash in on the E-H trademark and pass off their products as E-H based on cosmetic features, it's that picture.

I'll hand it to Danelectro.  They may well be simply recycling designs whose copyright protection has now lapsed, but they make absolutely no attempt to pass off the pedals as being equal to a given commercial product.  Indeed, you have to know something to have any idea that the French Toast is really a Tone Machne in disguise.  In contrast, the VD-1 takes great pains to rub your nose in the similarity to the BMP, even to the extent of using a chassis that is at least 4 times bigger than is needed to do so.

puretube

vanessa

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 31, 2006, 01:25:48 PM
More specifi9cally, here:  http://tinypic.com/jrz61h.jpg   and here:  http://tinypic.com/jrz5zt.jpg

Man, that's a whole lotta empty real estate in there!  If anything could be advanced to support the contention that Behringer was deliberately attempting to cash in on the E-H trademark and pass off their products as E-H based on cosmetic features, it's that picture.

I'll hand it to Danelectro.  They may well be simply recycling designs whose copyright protection has now lapsed, but they make absolutely no attempt to pass off the pedals as being equal to a given commercial product.  Indeed, you have to know something to have any idea that the French Toast is really a Tone Machne in disguise.  In contrast, the VD-1 takes great pains to rub your nose in the similarity to the BMP, even to the extent of using a chassis that is at least 4 times bigger than is needed to do so.

I hear you. They could have easily put that into a small box, heck they could have even made it cheaper! They want to go head-to-head with EH, and with this box that's not hard to tell.

Mark Hammer

Not quite a forum hopper, but  :icon_redface: :icon_redface: nonetheless.

I have some of the little DIP-spaced DPDT switches shown here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/latronax/vd984.jpg   and also picked up some actuators from Small Bear to use with them, but have not installed any yet. The switches need to have the distance from actuator planned out so as to provide the right degree of pressure from the spring plunger against the little white plastic top of the switch.  I'd ideally like to stick the switch on a PCB shared with the effect circuit and those lovely plastic PCB-mount phone jacks, but the issue with me seems to be planning out the spacing between switch and actuator.  Seeing this picture, though, I realize my problem has been planning it out by thinking about the switch in terms of distance from the "floor" of the chassis.  As shown in the picture, Behringer deals with it by maintaining constant distance from the "ceiling" instead, by means of the little plastic cage.

Now I'm wondering if I could use:
a) a tiny PCB for the switch and wire leads
b) a pre-measured piece of hard plastic or aluminum tubing to set the distance between the chassis "ceiling" and the PCB
c) epoxy the tube to the PCB and underside of the actuator.

It wouldn't place the switch right on the PCB, but the footprint of the switch inside the box would be smaller, and I could treat hole location for the phone jacks and switch location as separate, hence more easily solved, problems.

theundeadelvis

You could maybe hang the switch pcb from the ceiling using standoffs that are threaded on each end so that you would be able to fine tune the adjustment. Once you had the proper height you could either loc-tite the standoff and screws or use small lock-nuts. So you would have a screw threw the ceiling then a nut then the standoff another nut and another screw to the pcb. Now that I've typed it all out maybe its too complicated. Its kinda like a little folding guitar stand I have that you can adjust the angle of the back with a system like this. Anyway, just a thought.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

Johan

..oh.. so now there is V.D for everyone?...
..sorry..couldnt help it...

j
DON'T PANIC

finkfloyd

lol, Only if you throw it, someone then has to catch it ;)

aron

QuoteIndeed, you have to know something to have any idea that the French Toast is really a Tone Machne in disguise.

Not really. They DO advertise that it is a Foxx tone machine. But why not?

The president of Danelectro was the president of Foxx!

StephenGiles

Quote from: Johan on January 31, 2006, 02:44:43 PM
..oh.. so now there is V.D for everyone?...
..sorry..couldnt help it...

j

All we need then is a good clap!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube