OT - Paging Mark Hammer re: Jack Darr schems

Started by Sonny ReVerb, February 01, 2006, 09:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny ReVerb

Hi Mark,

I was searching for scans of Jack Darr's Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook and found some in the 'Hammer Files'. Did you ever scan Section III of the book - the schematics section?

Sonny

Sonny ReVerb

Thanks Al, but that doesn't include Section III - Section I and II only.

Sonny

Mark Hammer

I decided to omit them to provide at least SOME reason to purchase the book, should it ever become available again.  Although, quite frankly, anything that is useful in it is already available out there on sites that have Ampeg, Gibson, or Fender stuff.  If you have a hankering for budget solid-state amps, I suppose I could scan a request.

Sir H C

I think most of them are in the Aspen Pittman book.  At least the tube ones.  The solid state ones are only there.

AL

Ooops, sorry Sonny  :icon_redface: I didn't check before I posted the link. My bad.

What schematics are looking for? There's a ton of them on the net.

AL

Sonny ReVerb

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what schematics were included with the book? I heard it was an odd assortment. I thought there might be some interesting oddballs in there. I already have the Pittman and Weber books.

I see one just sold the other day on eBay for $106.50. You've got a good investment there ;)

Sonny

Mark Hammer

Not much of an investment any more since I posted the best parts. :icon_wink:

The schematics include a LOT of "also-rans" like Harmony, Kay, Wards-Airline and some Supro.  Keep in mind that the book was published in 1973 when we were all much more impressed with the "reliability of solid-state" than with the tone of tubes, and that its intended market was the neighbourhood electronics repair guy who would fix table radios, TVs, stereos, reel-to-reel recorders, and the occasional guitar amplifier (no VCRs in 1973).  What people were most likely to drag in for repair were the sorts of amps you'd find in department stores.

Sir H C

Also has some great Magnatone solid state schematics.  True stereo vibrato there.  That is the coolest schematic in there that is not anywhere else (in my opinion).

Mark Hammer

You're right.  Forgot about that.  Magnatone and Estey schematics.  Tons of 'em.

Sir H C

I have one of the solid state Magnatone monsters, and that schematic source was invaluable.