Trans for a Compressor Ross Clone

Started by Holty, February 01, 2006, 04:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holty

Anybody tried using  2SC1849 transistors in a Ross Clone? 

Analogman's site says he uses them in his Compressor, so I guess they are worth trying? What do you think?

Eirik

There's no reason not to if you have them available ;) (did I spell that right?  ::) )

Eirik
Eirik

Holty

I'll give me a go and see how they sound.

Mark Hammer

Robert Keeley makes a big deal about using them too but also notes them as being hard to get.  They were apparently the ones used in the first issue Dynacomps.

It strikes me that the transistors have very different roles throughout the circuit, so scorin 5 of them is not really that critical.  Wisely, Keeley mentions matching them, which makes a bit of sense for the envelope follower/sidechain.  The full-wave rectification involves separate half-wave rectifying of the two half-cycles and combining them.  Ripple will be lower if the two sections are better matched.

There is absolutely no justification for matching that pair of transistors, however, with any of the 3 others in the circuit.  As far as I'm concerned, the input tranny and the output tranny should be selected on the basis of providing decent noise specs for the conditions they are inserted into.  My guess is that there are plenty out there to choose from.

Keep in mind that we went through this big hubbub about the 2N5952 FETs for the Phase 90, and in the end, they just turned out to be practical choices, but not absolutely critical.

Holty

Thanks Mark,  Small Bear has some of the 2SC1849's so I'll give them try. 

ps - have used your added switch mod to the ross clone, and its excellent -highly recommended.  Thanks.,