There are always improvements that can be made...

Started by no one ever, February 01, 2006, 05:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no one ever

Since finishing R.G.'s Neovibe for a friend, I gave it to him for a test session. You know, just to get some feedback and see what he wants. This is what his review entailed:

Too much noise (I've found that this comes from the power source.. is there a rule/guideline for lead dress in stompboxes?)

Too harsh w/ hard strummed chords (don't think that's what the vibe's for, but I've suggested a treble rolloff)

Not the tone he's looking for (needs to cut through gain pedals, hard to get with a treble rolloff)

as for the power situation, I'm trying out a pedalpowerII to see if that quiets it enough (he'll be getting that soon). As for the tone situation, I was considering a SWTC.

other thoughts? MORE power filtering ? It's already got 2 1000uf caps.
(chk chk chk)

AdamB

if your getting loads of noise without good reason, I'd also check the cables between guitar/pedals/amp. I spent ages trying to get rid of noise in one of my pedals only to discover it was a bad cable causing the problem. As soon as I swapped it out for a different one it was, as the french would say, tres quiet.

-Adam
[indifferent::engine]
http://www.indifferentengine.com

no one ever

Well I know it is the power because when the power cable was unplugged while the vibe was bypassed, the noise went away. Cables are fine, er  at least the vibe adds to the noise they introduce.

So, the noise even gets into the bypassed signal.. I have the 3pdt wired as a dpdt and then the spdt for the status LED is on the side. Does having a 15vdc feed into a switch next to the output/input lugs introduce crosstalk/noise? Is millenium bypass the solution to that kerfuffle?

Oh, and I'm running it off 18vAC.
(chk chk chk)

no one ever

Hi, its me again.

Months later I found out that my vibe won't work off of DC power (12v). When I tried to fix this, I plugged the adapter in, and the on/off LED burned.

ehhhh...
(chk chk chk)