question about strip board layouts

Started by freak scene, February 03, 2006, 09:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freak scene

what is the little red square with the red dot in the middle?

alteredsounds

Hi mate, they're trace cuts.  Where you see them, make a break in the track with somethink like a braddle or a knife etc.

Cheers,
Nick,

freak scene

thanks!

thats sort of what i though but i wasnt sure.

wampcat1

Quote from: alteredsounds on February 03, 2006, 09:20:03 AM
Hi mate, they're trace cuts.  Where you see them, make a break in the track with somethink like a braddle or a knife etc.

Cheers,
Nick,

You can also use a small drill bit -- just big enough to cut the trace, 3/16" or so. Just drill slightly deep enough to cut the copper, like you would if you were 'countersinking' something.

Hope that helps! :)
Brian

TheBigMan

Yep, my stripboard cutter is a 3.5mm drill bit in a handle.  :icon_mrgreen:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yeah, I do the drill thing.... then I get a big wire brush & scrub the bejasus out of the board, in the hope that I will get any bits of trace that I missed off. Then I check across every cut with a meter. (Either you check for shorts BEFORE you buid, or after. First is easier.)

Izzy

Hmm...What is the best way to cut stripboard with tools that are available in your home? (I dont have strip board cutter neither drill bit).
I dont want to buy them but still how much and where would I find these cutters?  ;D

Can I cut with sharp knife?

aron

The ones that I have, simply score with an xacto and snap - just like the perfboard.

dosmun

Quote from: Izzy on October 11, 2006, 11:37:59 PM
Hmm...What is the best way to cut stripboard with tools that are available in your home? (I dont have strip board cutter neither drill bit).
I dont want to buy them but still how much and where would I find these cutters?  ;D

Can I cut with sharp knife?

If you can't afford the buck for a drill bit then you might want to find another hobby.. ;)  A knife will work but a drill bit is sooooo much easier.  The thing about building FX is you can do it with real basic tools but if you spend just a few $$ and get the "right" tools for the job it makes it much more enjoyable.

MartyMart

I was using a plain 5mm drill bit for two years and no wonder that I had blisters on the ends of my fingers !!
Invested £2.99 in a "strip board tool" - a drill bit with a big plastic handle on it  ....:D
Happy now ..
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

343 Salty Beans

I was fortunate enough to get a Dremel. Thing is damn handy, and can do most of what I need to do. Cutting traces, removing oxidation, cutting vero, drilling pilot holes...It's a GREAT tool and I highly recommend it.

Ge_Whiz

I used to use a sharp knife to cut the strips, but failed to miss my fingers too many times. I can't think of many household tools more common than a small drill bit. A blunt one will do - beg the neighbours.

Barcode80

you can cut traces with a small screwdriver, i've done it a hundred times. just use the perf hole as a pilot hole and turn the screwdriver in the hole with some pressure and you can usually get all the trace cut with minimal effort.