switching between 2 different gain and volume settings on Dr. Boogey

Started by sodapop, February 03, 2006, 03:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodapop

I have just finished building the Dr. boogey and I must say it is a very nice metal pedal.  The thing I want to do is to is have the standard volume and gain knobs acting kinda like the "red" channel on dual rectifier.  Set it with searing gain for leads,  and have a red LED for that "Channel".  I then want to have 2 more knobs for the "orange" channel which will have lower gain but probably higher volume.  I want to be able to do this hopefully with one 3PDT for switching between orange and red settings,  and one 3PDT for standard bypass with LED.  I have already found the dual volume mod in the layouts gallery,  but that only works for one knob.  I need 2.  Is this possible?  I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a working layout for this.

nelson

Its not possible. Unless you use some sort of relay switching. It would be possible with a 4PDT footswitch. Since Lug 1 of all those pots go to ground.

Apparently SB is going to stock a 4PDT made by the same people as the 3PDT in the near future.

However there is a 4PDT switch available from banzai effects.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

petemoore

beeing it's a Jfet amp sim I guess the volume and gain controls are having 1 connection to ground each.
  EZ way is with a 4PDT or better, switching 'A' and 'B' pots at two positions [say gain and volume gain] at the same time. [one big switch and 4 pots, for 1 gain and 1 volume control position switching.] Probably a very usable switch, and fairly easy to get it to do what you want it to.
  You could use a 3PDT, two of the poles and 4 of the throws to switch between 2 pots to 'A/B' that pot setting, that leaves you with one more pole and 2 throws for possible use...reducing say a gate bias resistor, or altering gain at the source resistor or capacitor...one or both settings could still be on separate pots, just not pots with 3 lug wiring.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sodapop

Quote from: petemoore on February 03, 2006, 10:10:25 PM
  beeing it's a Jfet amp sim I guess the volume and gain controls are having 1 connection to ground each.
  EZ way is with a 4PDT or better, switching 'A' and 'B' pots at two positions [say gain and volume gain] at the same time. [one big switch and 4 pots, for 1 gain and 1 volume control position switching.] Probably a very usable switch, and fairly easy to get it to do what you want it to.
  You could use a 3PDT, two of the poles and 4 of the throws to switch between 2 pots to 'A/B' that pot setting, that leaves you with one more pole and 2 throws for possible use...reducing say a gate bias resistor, or altering gain at the source resistor or capacitor...one or both settings could still be on separate pots, just not pots with 3 lug wiring.

this is exactly what I was thinking.  I got a layout drawn up and thats what I came up with.  By the way, the other pole will be used to switch a red LED and an Orange LED depending on what bank of 2 pots I am using.

petemoore

A 'good' way to do 'it'?
  I think so, since there are circuits that lend themselves well to high gain / lo gain for like LEad / Rythm . And...I've messed with amp sims that do this well, but...both gain and volume must be adjusted for optimum' HG, and then both reset differently for LG. PUtting extra settings pots for gain vol on switches like this...good type thing I always never have done .. yet.
  I find also that I want a shift in treble/bass content, and this could be easy enough to add with the 3pdt, say you wanted a little less highs and a little less bass on the High Gain 'channel'...that pot could easily enough have added LP or HP Filtering fixed only to it. Same for the other one...but I'd just get a voicing you like, leave that channel...add filtering to only one side of the alternate V/G pot channeling.

sodapop

Good idea with the different eq.  Looks like I may need a bigger box.  I already have the thing shoehorned into a 1590BB!  It is so tight that I decided to unwire the whole thing today and revamp for a neater layout.  It sucks though because the thing sounds F-ing amazing through my half-stack which is at the rehersal space,  which I am going to tonight.  Oh well, more incentive for wednesday!  I drew up the wiring diagram that I am going to use today and it seems like it should work fine.  If it does I will try to post!

petemoore

I wanted a pedal that can do it all.
  After some experiences, I learned for me it is best to keep hopes high and expectations low...for the 'do it all in one' ultrapedal.
  I then set my sights on a bit more reasonable target, a pedal that does two things I want it to really well..softer/harder distortion 'sides'.
  It's good to see you're working on a new 'double' pedal, using gain structures as opposed to # of gain stages [bypassing them]...which is more the route I took when designing for gain Stage 1, 2 and 3, but in the reality of gain 'staging' [adding gain via switch] on stage, I've found 2 'gain amount choices w/volume control on guitar provides me enough variability and is easy to control.