DRIAB (Dr. Boogey) Finished! Check it out - Update

Started by Paul Marossy, February 05, 2006, 12:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I finally built the Dr. Boogey. WoW! This thing is a screamer! Here's a few pics of my project:

This is the top. The graphics are temporary, I'm going to redo them. It was going to go into a Hammond 1590BB, but I had this LMB Heeger box lying around that I wanted to use for something, so I gave it a shot. It actually worked out just right, with some careful planning. The model number is LMB #CR 531 and it measures 3"x5-1/2"x1-1/4" and is constructed out of sturdy aluminum.

I mounted the DC jack on the side. The knobs are from a cheapo Crate bass amp that I parted out. I had to cut a flat spot on all the pot shafts with a Dremel Tool to use them.

To get the bottom cover on, I had cut a few notches in the sides so it would fit. This actually works out well because the notches make contact with the ground plane of the PCB and helps to make the whole box grounded.

And here are the obligatory shots of the guts:

The pots just barely fit, I mean they are all snug between eachother and the enclosure itself. Well, time to go play this thing!  :icon_cool:

EDIT: BTW, this is the original paint on the box - it comes painted.

twabelljr

Very professional build Paul! Thanks for the great website too, Ive learned alot from your articles there. Awesome work! Keep it up.
Shine On !!!

Somicide

I've heard of this sucker, but have yet to hear any clips.  Anybody got any?

The build looks quite awesome, Paul.  How long did the build take you?

PnL,

Jeff

edit: where did you manage to find this schem/layout/etc?  I've done a few searches and found only a pcb.
Peace 'n Love

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

QuoteThanks for the great website too, Ive learned alot from your articles there. Awesome work! Keep it up.

Thanks! I'm always happy to hear that someone is getting something out of my ramblings...  :icon_confused:

QuoteHow long did the build take you?

A lot longer than it usually would. I have about 9-10 hours into it - total. Probably 2 hours or so was spent on planning how to make all that stuff fit, drilling holes, cutting things with the Dremel Tool, etc. I'll spend 1 at least one more hour to make the graphics official.  :icon_neutral:

Eirik

Wow Paul! That's a really nice looking build! 8)
What fet's did you use for it?
Eirik

Somicide

Quote from: Eirik on February 05, 2006, 03:26:34 PM

Ahh, I found a "layout and PCB" however, the FETs are unlabeled on it; so yes, what are they?

edit:  did a broader search, found a sound clip, and the schem.  Ok.  Again, great job!
Peace 'n Love

gaussmarkov

very nice!  thanks for all the pics. :icon_cool:

Paul Marossy

Wow Paul! That's a really nice looking build! 8)

Thansk! I don't remember where I got the schematic for it, but is shows my favorite FETs - J201s.  :icon_wink:

wampcat1

Quote from: Somicide on February 05, 2006, 04:11:58 PM

Ahh, I found a "layout and PCB" however, the FETs are unlabeled on it; so yes, what are they?

edit:  did a broader search, found a sound clip, and the schem.  Ok.  Again, great job!

Do share!! What is the links?

Thanks,
Brian

Burstbucker

Hey Paul,

Very nice work indeed!  And I too have enjoyed reading various things on your website, thanks for sharing with us fellow stompers.

Somicide

Peace 'n Love

Paul Marossy

To build mine, I used the PCB layout by Bucksears. It worked great right off the bat. I set all of the trimpots so that they are slightly over half the supply voltage.

Yeah, and that schematic I have is the one from Electrictabs.  :icon_cool:

EDIT: BTW, on the Bucksears parts layout,  the bass and presence controls are shown wired incorrectly. The way it's shown, they would be fixed resistors which would be the value of the pot. There should be a connection at the wiper and one of the outer lugs instead of what is indicated...  :icon_wink:

EDIT #2: Hey, I just had a thought for a cool mod - a "less gain" switch. It would simply switch a 470K resistor parallel with the 1M gain pot. I think I'm going to try that.  :icon_idea:

Dragonfly

SWEET looking pedal Paul !  Nice work, as usual ...

AC

KMS

What does this FX do?

I have not seen this described.

A link?

Thanx
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds

MartyMart

Quote from: KMS on February 06, 2006, 12:11:56 AM
What does this FX do?

I have not seen this described.

A link?

Thanx

It's original name is "Dr Boogey"  a sim of the "Boogie Dual Rectified" amp, using J201 Fets
It has a great tone and a VERY BIG sound  !!
Recommended 100%  :D

BTW:  Nice work Paul  !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

QuoteWhat does this FX do?

What does it do?! It's like a cranked Mesa-Boogie. It's got lots of tone, too. If you like that sort of sound, stop everything that you are doing and build it!  :icon_wink:

Paul Marossy

OK, I'm officially done now. Here's what it looks like:

Close up of the graphics. Notice the power tube.

And this is my hi/lo gain switch. It switches a 1M resistor in parallel with the 1M gain pot for a lower gain sound. I used my patented method for cutting a square opening - drilling two holes and filing until it's just right.  :icon_wink:

Overall, I am pretty happy with the way this turned out for such a spur of the moment kind of thing.  :icon_cool:

Somicide

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 05, 2006, 10:46:12 PM
EDIT: BTW, on the Bucksears parts layout,  the bass and presence controls are shown wired incorrectly. The way it's shown, they would be fixed resistors which would be the value of the pot. There should be a connection at the wiper and one of the outer lugs instead of what is indicated...  :icon_wink:

how would one go about correcting that?  could you maybe give a visual example?  (slow learner...)

PnL,
Jeff
Peace 'n Love

Melanhead

Looks Great Paul! ... and Damn! looks like another one I'd like to build ... I need more time  :icon_mrgreen: ...