more electra questions..

Started by christobean, February 05, 2006, 10:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christobean

i finally got my electra working, but i only get sound when the volume on my axe is cranked.  also there is no distortion unless i use the neck pickup.  any suggestions or ideas of what is going on??  thanks

fixr1984

check to make sure you have the transistor pin out correct. That was my first project and I had the tranny in backwards and had a similar problem.

christobean

alright will do.. is there any chance that the  resistors are messing it up? i did not use the specified values but they were pretty close

RLBJR65

This would be my first guess as well, the Electra Dist. is LOUD.
Quote from: fixr1984 on February 05, 2006, 10:28:19 PM
check to make sure you have the transistor pin out correct. That was my first project and I had the tranny in backwards and had a similar problem.

Could be the resistors if you are to far out of spec. You can usually get by with 10%.
Which resistors did you change and what values did you use?

Richard
Richard Boop

ildar

Quote from: RLBJR65 on February 06, 2006, 07:41:54 PM
This would be my first guess as well, the Electra Dist. is LOUD.
Richard

If I may put in my 2 cents, I find that the Electra is loud when using si (esp. 1n400x) diodes. When using ge or a combination of si/ge, the output is lessened.
christobean, it sounds like you're having a tranny problem. Which one did you use?

christobean

i used a 2N3904 tran., 2 ge diodes, and .1 uF caps.
resistors were as follows
R1=1000ohm(680ohm specified)
R2=1M5(2M2 spec.)
R3=47k(47k spec.)
and in place of the 100k pot i used a 47k resistor.

i am going to switch up the transistor pinout now to see if that fixes it
thanks for all the help so far!

ildar

Your 1k ohm at the emitter may be the culprit. Try a lower value. I use 330 in mine=higher output.

christobean

it works! i just switched the transistor pinout and it works awesome now
i will definately keep the output resistor in mind for future projects though

thanks to all :icon_biggrin:

fixr1984

Good to hear, how do you like it. I use mine thru a marshall half stack and it just cranks. Thru a solid state amp its more fuzz than distortion but its still cool.

junkyjunky

glad to hear you got it up and running. :icon_biggrin:
trash is often friendly

christobean

its pretty sweet, right now im running it through my squier bass amp with my strat and it sounds pretty good.  it has that marshally feel to it(as oposed to a smoothish fender-y tone) which is a nice switchup from y fenders/squiers.
and i cant really complain with the $2 price tag,,all salvaged parts, an altiods tin enclosure, and 2 jacks.
overall a great build

ildar

:icon_cool:
I always liked my Electra. Like a few forumites, it was my first build-I use it quite a lot.
I have toyed with the idea of sticking a (Marshall maybe?) tonestack at the end of the circuit. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.

RLBJR65

I'm not very good with the math but with that 1M5 in there you may not even be clipping the signal at all or very little. The schems I have seen show either the 2M2 or a 3M3. If you like it thats really all that counts though :icon_biggrin:

Quote from: ildar on February 06, 2006, 09:11:40 PM
Your 1k ohm at the emitter may be the culprit. Try a lower value. I use 330 in mine=higher output.
Yep a 330, 470 or 560 in there will give you more gain.

Have some fun with it now that you have it working you could try a couple of simple mods.
For OD / distorion use an spst switch on the diodes so you can turn them on or off. With them off you will have a pretty good little OD.
For adjustable distortion level stick a 1M pot wired as a variable resistor in series with the 1M5. distortion level controll.
Here is another mod to add some soft clipping too.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/distortion/onetrans.gif

Richard
Richard Boop