Blackfire with Marshall TS low output into Tube amp

Started by audioguy, February 09, 2006, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

I ahd originally posted this in a nother thread, but since its not really allong the lines of that topic, I started a new thread here is my problem-
I built a blackfire and added the Marshall TS and it sounds amazing... however...

I have to have the volume all the way up to get unity gain going into a tube amp. Going into a solid state amp it works just fine... Im going into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and with the amp volume on 3, I get nothing from the blackfire.  At half I can hear the sound faintly.  From 3/4 up, I was able to get a unity.

But like I said... with an SS amp it sounds MASSIVE.
Do I need to buffer it or something?

Thanks for your help!

audioguy

WGTP

Is the tone stack before or after the output pot?  Did you use the 470K resistors to reduce the output?
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

audioguy

The tone stack is before the output pot.
Im not sure which 470k resistors youre refering to, but I dont believe I used them. I used the layout exactly as they are, no part subs for either.
Thanks for your help!

Paul Marossy

That's weird. My Blackfire even with the Marshall tone stack is very loud. Those 470K resistors at the output form a voltage divider. If you were to remove them (or 1/2 them), it would get a lot louder...

audioguy

RDV

audioguy

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

audioguy

Just leave em empty or put in a jumper of some sort?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!

Paul Marossy

QuoteJust leave em empty or put in a jumper of some sort?

Remove the one to ground and use a jumper in place of the one that is in series with the output.  :icon_wink:

audioguy

I dont see a 470k at either location you're describing Paul. I'm using http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/blackfire.gif I dont see either of the 2 you're describinging. I cant see one going to ground, nor running in series with the output... maybe Im misinterpreting it?

343 Salty Beans

Have you tried an audio probe? Identify what is killing the sound with it, and you'll have a lot more to go off of.

RDV

Uh,  my advice was based on the old BF, I know nothing about the new one.

Sorry.

RDV

audioguy

RDV_ I appreciate the effort... maybe I'll try the old one and see if it cures my problem.

343- No I have not tried a probe. I dont know if a probe would find it... it sounds great through 3 SS amps, but not in my Hot Rod Deluxe... which sounds just fine with every other pedals I've built

Paul Marossy

QuoteI dont see a 470k at either location you're describing Paul.

Hmm... I wasn't aware that it has been changed. Apparently, it has been changed at some point. Mine is built per the original schematic. I have a PCB layout, but I dont think it prints to scale. Anyhow, you can see the pair of 470K resistors at the output. Check it out: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/Blackfire.pdf