switching cf value of inductor wah

Started by kingkryak, February 09, 2006, 07:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingkryak

i would like to add 2 caps in paralell with my inductor of my dunlop jh-1 and I need some help deciding which ones to use. right now there is no cap but a space for one on the pcb, i think a .o1uf was supposed to go there. can anyone give some suggestions? i will use a spdt on-off-on switch so i can switch from stock to either one of the new capacitors. I wont have a chance to breadboard the mods first so any info would be very helpful.

kingkryak

just finished adding some useful features to my little brothers jh-1 wah pedal I used the .01ufwhich was shown in some schematic running paralell to the inductor and I used a dpdt switch so i could also select a .022uf or select no cap at all as was in the original schematic. the mods sound great. I added a switch to cancel the wah leaving only a volume pedal, installed a pot in series with the 33k to add a Q control, decreased the Q2 emitter resistor from 470ohms to 290 ohms, added a switch to select from treble or bass wah. i am very very pleased with my work on this pedal.   
My next mod to this pedal will be a fuzz probably. any recomendations for a fuzz that sounds great with a wah? also would it sound better before or after the wah.

my brother now has the best wah ever made.

Mike Burgundy

Congratulations on a succesful mod and welcome to the club!
There is no way to know what you or your brother will like as far as fuzz goes, but a FuzzFace is a nice and simple, well documented circuit that's pretty easily moddable as well. Derivatives such as the easyface might be even easier. I'd have a look at the easyface.
Read RG's article on both the fuzzface and the wah at GEO (www.geofex.com), section "technology of...."
You might want to add a switch to juggle the order around: fuzz into wah gives the wah loads of harmonics to filter (very expressive wah), wah into fuzz (often with the wah used a sstationary filter) has a less-pronounced wah, but smooths out the fuzz, allows for precise feedback control. Think old Santana solos.
Be advised that a FuzzFace after a wah behaves strange - it's in RG's articles, with how to solve it as well.
hih