Looking for a autowah/filter/envelope pedal

Started by searoad, February 11, 2006, 06:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

searoad

hi everyone!
this is my first post here looking for some help

that is i wanna build a stompbox to my friend as a gift
he wanted a reverb pedal but i found that most diy reverb projects need the reverb tank.
(besides femtoverb? but the ics in it is too hard to find for me)i thought it is inconvenient.

he wants next is a autowah/filter/envelope pedal
he sent me a song by stereolab containing a wahwah-sound guitar
i dont know if i can upload this song... but amazon has a sample(http://tinyurl.com/c78tv) the fifth song Spark Plug
the wah-effect is used in whole song..so i think it is an autowah pedal rather than wah rocket
but i didnt build a filter circuit before..
i have no idea about how unique this sound is among other filter pedals or it just a normal effect

i did a search and found the quack series...simple and modifiable
mxr envelope filter looks good but dont know how it sounds
dod440 is cool since my friend also loves radiohead and they use it. but i cant find VTL5C4/2 in my country
phozer is interesting and simple but maybe not a common autowah pedal?
i know mr. Hammer and a lot have posted so many techs about filter but i still needs some advice!!
maybe a big stereolab fan can tell me which pedal this song use?

my english isnt good enough, maybe some grammar errors.. i have to say sorry first
and thanks for any advice!!

Mark Hammer

Geert is right.  The Nurse Quacky is an excellent choice (the Dr. Quack is a bit better choice because of the input buffer).  The sound you get right away with it might not be *exactly* what yoiur friend wants, but it is very easy to modify to taste.    Easy enough that you can tell the friend that he can play with it and let you know what he'd like more and/or less of.  The changes required will be simple enough to implement that he can sit beside you at the bench and you two can have it modded and running again in 20 minutes.

searoad