Boss GE-7 IC Chip Upgrade

Started by 12StringStratMaker, February 11, 2006, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12StringStratMaker

I modified my Boss GE-7 Equalizer long ago before people started recommending to change the IC's.
I found some Texas Instruments TL072 chips at a local store but they say TL072ACP on them.  Is the ACP of concern? Or can I still use them without problem for this mod?
Here's the link for the Texas Instrument TL072 product line: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tl072.html
Thanks very much.

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

12StringStratMaker

The Tone God

ACP should be fine. I belive the "C" means commercial tempature range, the "P" means plastic package, and the "A" stands for...um...

Andrew

12StringStratMaker

Thanks Tone God.

I won't be near my soldering iron until Monday but I look forward to trying it. 
I bought IC sockets too so that I don't mess the chips up.

12StringStratMaker

Reading the product spec sheet, found in that link I first posted.  It appears that the A is in reference to the max voltage.
No letter means it can take up to 10mV.
With A means it can only take up to 6mV.
With B means it can only take up to 3mV.

I assume the A chip won't be a problem then.
Looking at the specs of another chip that can be used in this mod, TI 4559P, that's only 6mV max too so it's all good.

runmikeyrun

what's the mod supposed to accomplish?  More boost?

EDIT: never mind, used the search feature... :icon_redface:
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

petemoore

Supposed to lower the noise floor, From what I've read. There's not much you can do to a nice EQ w/15db boost except make it quieter...It'll be interesting to see how much noise-drop can be wrought out with chip swaps...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

12StringStratMaker

I'll let you know how much of a noise difference it makes.
I just picked up, out of curiousity, a GE-7 with the Tone Jam sniper modification and I already have a GE-7 with an old version of indyguitarist's mods.  It was by fluke that I actually found the TL072 chips, so now I have something to compare to.

12StringStratMaker

Installed the chips today.
Man does that make a difference in the background noise.  Like I mentioned, I have the sniper mod to compare to, which is a very similar mod.  The GE-7 before the chips had a noticable hiss when you turn it on (without any guitar sound coming through), but now it has the same noise as the GE-7, which is about 30-40% of what it previously had.
Well worth it for the higher quality pedal.  The chip sockets are fanastic and made it so easy.
Thanks for letting me know I wasn't messing up my pedal.