In your own opinion...

Started by 343 Salty Beans, February 12, 2006, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

343 Salty Beans

Coming from experienced builders, what is the best DIY trem out there? I've heard a lot of good about the Tremulus Lune, but I can't really find a Veroboard layout, and I don't want to blow 19 bucks on a RTS PCB from Tonepad, what with being on a supertight budget. I have a Veroboard layout of the Colorsound Trem, but I dunno....

Any experienced builders out there that have built both or both plus different ones that can give any input?

Or anyone with a Tremulus Lune vero layout?

theundeadelvis

Not that this is much help to you, BUT the Tremelus Lune is amazing! Hopefully someone has the vero layout out there for you! Good luck!
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

fixr1984

RickL

Build it using the 4ms CBCB method. I think their layout will fit on one of those sample sized pieces Formica that you can get at hardware stores for nothing. Once you've drilled the holes CBCB is everybit as easy as stripboard.

Dragonfly

...i guess it would depend on what "kind" of tremolo you like....

the trem lune is very versatile ...great sounding too

the kay if choppy....but made a bit more versatile by using Col's mod, which is on my vero layout....

the ea trem is a nice, classic tremolo...better than MANY tube amp trems, imo ....

the colorsound is a cool "vintage style" trem ...sorta "phasey" in a weird way, but cool...

hope this helps,
   andy

343 Salty Beans

Thanks a load, all. Especially you Andy.

See, it's my guitarist I'm building it for (they make us bassmonkeys do EVERYTHING), and I'm not sure what exactly he wants...but I'm thinking the Trem Lune is the way he wants to go. Of course, vintage is sick too, so maybe I'll build the colorsound too, and let him pick which one he wants and keep the other. I was gonna build my own anyways.....

And RickL, call me a n00b, but what is 4ms CBCB??? Never heard that one before.

twabelljr

I think CBCB stands for CardBoardCircuitBoard.  You place your layout on a piece of cardboard, Formica (laminate), masonite, etc., drill your holes and place the components and jump the connections together under the board.   Here is a picture from the 4ms website:

Google 4ms and Commonsound. Commonsound has directions on how to make a board using this method.
Shine On !!!

petemoore

Before I could see under perfboard without looking...lol' I used to  build circuits on countertop like that...
  I have to say the Tremulous Lune...Super Trem...goes Deep / quite variable, whatever it is in a trem you want, I think you can find it in the TL. 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

343 Salty Beans

Thanks a load, all you guys. I'll make sure to google that.

jrc4558

try the EA tremolo. It may have less features, but it still is a very functional tremolo.
As for the Lune, thats a rocket. You will have to learn how to fly it, too. :)

troubledtom

Quote from: Constantin Necrasov on February 13, 2006, 09:10:14 AM
try the EA tremolo. It may have less features, but it still is a very functional tremolo.
As for the Lune, thats a rocket. You will have to learn how to fly it, too. :)

if sickness is in your blood , do the lune, the stereo one :icon_twisted: :icon_wink:
           - tom

sovtek50

I built 8):

2 EH Pulsars - one in a big box, sound cool, psychedelic, can pulse a ultrafast rates. I built another one for some dude in a 1590BB box, couldn't get rid of a very annoying ticking noise...

EA-tremolo - wonderful, smooth, buttery Tremolo. I use this live in my band. If You build this, check out the double rate mod, otherwise it's not too versatile. Also, use a Reverse log pot for the rate, or a reverse pot wired backwards. Works like a charm.

Kay Tremolo - Hell, I love this, too! If You're into One-knob-wonders, try this. Easy build, cool, choppy, 60s Trem, can also go ultra-fast.

Haven't built the Trem. lune, but sure I will, coz I'm crazy for those crazy 4MS-pedals (built a couple of their other design, @#$%in' geniuses)...
A circuit a day keeps the therapist away.

alltherightpills

Just finished a Tremulus Lune myself, and this thing is AMAZING.  It's true - any trem you want is somewhere in all of those knobs.  I can't really see anyone disliking this Trem - the only problem some might find is having too many options (if that's really possible!?).  Give it a shot.

343 Salty Beans

I'm really digging the sound of that EA, too....

Quote from: troubledtom on February 13, 2006, 11:55:55 AM

if sickness is in your blood , do the lune, the stereo one :icon_twisted: :icon_wink:
           - tom

I've had the sickness since I set foot in this forum...it's an addiction. It really is.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Email me. I'll give you a great deal.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com