4017 in a Crash Sync/Uglyface

Started by Noplasticrobots, February 12, 2006, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noplasticrobots

Hi, I've got some 4017 decade counters laying around and was wondering if they could be used in any effects? I'm especially wondering if by wiring it to the 555 of a crash sync if we could get some interesting sounds? I'm not exactly sure what it would do but it seems like if you wired a pot to control the speed of the counter, it would sputter the frequency of the 555 behind the guitar. Does this sound feasible?
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

gez

Don't know anything about the circuit you mentioned, but if you're feeding the 4017 from a comparator fuzz you won't get anything too musical.  Unless you put it in the feedback loop of a PLL it'll just divide down your signal...and unless you reset the thing before it counts to 10 you're going to get some pretty odd sounding sub bass stuff!

I've used them in the loop of a PLL to splice up a signal into segments.  You can then switch these in one by one to create stepped PWM.  Sounds good on paper, but it's pretty uninspiring...would sound better with keyboards...or kazoo/something else.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Noplasticrobots

Thanks for your input! I'm still new to a lot of stuff so I had to see if I was on to something.

The Tone God

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on February 12, 2006, 11:45:09 PM
Hi, I've got some 4017 decade counters laying around and was wondering if they could be used in any effects?

If you are looking at something just use them in and not just for the original idea you have you can build a Vanishing Point sequencer controller. It uses a 4017 for its base.

Andrew

Ashurbanipal

I built a crash sync. I can't answer your question, Noplasticrobots, but was wondering you could answer mine. The one I built noise-gates suddenly on decay of a note, which is what I assume it's supposed to do, but do you know how to either get it to gate less suddenly or not at all?

Noplasticrobots

i have yet to build mine, so I can't answer you questions, sorry! I was just looking at the schematic and wondering if a 4017 could be wired in musically.

gez

Quote from: Ashurbanipal on February 13, 2006, 06:17:49 PMdo you know how to either get it to gate less suddenly or not at all?

Link to a schematic and I'm sure somebody here will.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think the problem is, by its nature, the incoming signal either reaches the threshold of the 555 oscillator, or not. So it's a on or off effect. yes, one could split the input signal, extract an envelope, reimpose it on the output.. but, the sync would still be gated.

gez

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on February 14, 2006, 07:17:18 AM
I think the problem is, by its nature, the incoming signal either reaches the threshold of the 555 oscillator, or not.

that's what I was thinking (if it's the type of effect I think it is), but there's probably a way to beef up the signal so that it meets those thresholds most of the time...only a link to the schematic will tell though!  :icon_lol:

Noplasticrobots

Noplasticrobots

Ran across my bag of 4017's again. Could they be used in an Uglyface, or are we presented with the same problems?

newperson

Noplasticrobots