Having issues soldering

Started by Shawn Northrop, February 13, 2006, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn Northrop

I am trying to modify a Dr. Sampler. I am having trouble soldering to the board however, the solder does not stick to anything, it seems like the board is covered with something. when i touch two ends of 1 wire to the point i want they connect the circuit (which is what i want), however i can not get them to stay there. Any suggestions?

R.G.

Get the copper clean where you want to solder. It should be metallic-shining clean. Use fine sandpaper if necessary on small spots to remove grunge.

You cannot solder to dirty, oxidized, coated, or greasy copper.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

343 Salty Beans

definitely the clean deal. Also, try tinning the wire before you solder the joint.

BrianJ

I really, really want to know what your doing to the DR. Sample.

Shawn Northrop

I was attempting to make an edrum for my sound art class, i bought a piezo buzzer a 20 sampler from radio shack and a 1/4 inch adapter. I removed the play button from the sampler (which just connected a circuit) and wired a NpN transistor to both sides of the circuit. I then wired the base of the transistor to the piezo buzzer. So basically everytime the buzzer was struck the circuit was connected and the sample played. I want to do this to the Dr. Sampler but underneath the buttons is a black surface (both sides of the circuit). If i connect them with a wire the sample plays, however i cant solder to them. I dont think its because of grease, but ill try that thanks

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Shawn, you can't solder to that stuff because it is (or WAS!) conductive rubber.
Only hope is to trace some PCB traces coming away from the switch & solder to them.