solder fumes...<cough>

Started by Royalston, February 14, 2006, 02:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royalston

Ive been going pretty hard with my soldering over the last few weeks and feeling pretty unhealthy. Ive been feeling asthmatic and generally really bad since I started constructing these effects. Until now, its been years since Ive  had asthma. I took a couple of days without any DIY stompbox making and I feel a whole lot better.
I am trying to provide adequate ventilation but the best I can do is a fan....When I tried to buy non-lead solder from jaycar (the aussie version of radio shack) the sales guy said it was hopeless and the lead stuff was pretty much harmless anyway. After the way Ive been feeling, Im beginning to doubt that....

How bad is this stuff for you? Anyone wear some form of mask or protection or something? Has anyone had any bad experiences with this stuff....Im interested.

Royalston

pyrop

G'Day m8
There was a thread a few weeks ago regarding solding fumes
http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=6846.0

From memory it didn't as have much to do with the lead as it did with the fumes from the resin.
I think just keep the area as well ventilated as possible, only solder in short bursts and don't lean over your work as you are solding as the fumes usually go straight up.

pyrop ;D 

gez

It's the rosin that's the problem.  It's quite easy to develop an allergy to it if you're sensitive to such things.  Even it you're not, solder fumes irritate the lungs of a lot of people. 

I end up with a cough if I solder for long periods.  Get yourself an extractor unit and hold solder with a protective glove (you can develop an allergy from contact with the stuff - gets through the pores).

There was a letter to the editor in EPE mag a few years ago.  The bloke ended up in casualty after a 'marathon session' (about 5 hours if I recall) with the iron.  Watch your health!!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Royalston

"marathon session" - 5 hours! Thats nothing :)
I was soldering all last week, 5 days for at least 6 hours a day. no wonder i had a cough. That damned Orange Squeezer. I started from scratch 4 times all because of a faulty IC socket. For something that made me feel so f*cked, it sure doesnt sound great. javascript:void(0);

Thanks for the link..
& at least the lead's not in the smoke....

Royalston

alteredsounds

I had a thread about this a while ago.  Basically I ended-up buying this http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&STK_PROD_CODE=85-1040

I was wheezing and felt crappy for a while and realised it was from soldering with no ventialtion etc.  This has done wonders, shocking how quick the filter clog up, and without the filters this is what would go in your lungs.

Cheers,
Nick,

BrianJ

Aside from the flux I've been told that heated solder will create lead oxide.  Essentially as nasty as lead.  I don't take adequate precautions myself.  We should all be more careful.

Peter Snowberg

Searching the forum will bring up a number of threads where this has been discussed.

The health hazard is real, but good ventilation is easy to provide most of the time. You really don't want to breathing the rosin fumes. Bad, bad stuff. Remember that it's there to eat the oxide off the metal as you solder.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

343 Salty Beans

8mileshigh

Royalston,

I use the fume trap and a cartridge mask, not too comfortable but I'm protected and can solder for hours without any discomfort.

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Royalston

Thanks
Im going to invest in both  -after the last coupla weeks wheezing I lost all interest in DIY.

:)

Ge_Whiz

There's virtually no lead oxide formed at soldering temperatures - if there was, all your solder joints would be white. Lead oxide is a very high melting point solid - it's not going to form fumes, nor even a cloud. Forget the lead - it's always gonna be the flux that's the problem.

8mileshigh

The reason I got the fume trap is because the fumes irritate my eyes.  I once took a  stained glass course with 8 other people soldering in the same room, NOT pleasant !  My wife thought I was 8 miles high comming home after the course with my red eyes ;-)

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

JimRayden

Quote from: Royalston on February 14, 2006, 03:33:56 AM

"marathon session" - 5 hours! Thats nothing :)
I was soldering all last week, 5 days for at least 6 hours a day. no wonder i had a cough. That damned Orange Squeezer. I started from scratch 4 times all because of a faulty IC socket. For something that made me feel so f*cked, it sure doesnt sound great. javascript:void(0);

Thanks for the link..
& at least the lead's not in the smoke....

Royalston

Heh, for that period of time, ANY inhalable substances will start to irritate. Just cut down on your enthusiasm and you'll be fine. ;D

----------
Jimbo

danngreen

well if you don't want to shell out for a fume extractor, it might be worthwhile to DIY:

http://www.raphnet.net/divers/fume_extractor/index_en.php

the fan might need to be rated a cetain CFM to draw well enough. Commercial benchtops units i saw on the net were around 100CFM.