order,routing,configuration using microcontrollers

Started by markphaser, February 15, 2006, 01:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markphaser

When using a Microcontroller how do i change the order,routing,configurations ?

examples: series circuit

Resistor#1 is 1K
Resistor#2 is 1.5K
Resistor#3 is 4.7K

How do i change the Order of these 3 resistors to put them in different configurations?
What instruction would do this please so i can change the order and configurations

Examples#2
How do i change a Series circuit of R1 R2 R3 into a Parallel circuit to have R1,R2,R3 in parallel from the microcontroller
instructions changing the order of the path ways from a series circuit or a parallel circuit?
Which instruction code would do this please?

Example#3

On the board is a marshall tone stack with resistors and capacitors how many inputs would i need for the microcontroller so i can change the order and configuration of the marshall tone stack to convert the same resistors and capacitors components used to make a fender tone stack? each resistor and capacitor would need a I/O port on the microcontroller or can i use a multiplexer or encoder to use just one Port on the microcontroller chip?

danngreen

that's an odd question, I would probably approach it using analog switches. (these are ICs that function like a regular SPST switch, but are controlled with a digital HI or LO). For example the 4066 or 4016 "analog bilateral switch" chips.

You could wire the resistors to the switches so that a certain combination of open and closed on the switches will make them in series, and another combiation will make them in parallel. Then you could send HI/LO signals from the microcontrollers digital outputs to control the switches. With this method, you could make any configuration, as long as you have enough switches. Each switch would need an IO pin.

It's good to see discussion of microcontrollers and DSPs on this forum! I think there's a lot to be done in this realm by the DIY community...

markphaser

Thanks alot danngreen for your information

Each switch would need an IO pin.

How many inputs and outputs does a microcontroller have?

The microcontroller is just going to send out highs and low to the analog switches ?

How can the analog switches change from a series or a parallel routing paths?

How can the analog switches change the resistor orders/configurations?

d95err

First, what kind of microcontroller do you intend to use? PIC? AVR? MSP430? A pic can have anything from 8 pins to at least 40, ranging from an extremely simple device to almost a full-blown computer.

It would be easier to help you if you gave us an overview of what you are planning to do..

My suggestion would be to get a PIC starter kit and play around with it to learn the basics of microcontroller programming and design. Do something really simple and get it to work, e.g. a single PIC controlled true bypass switch. Then, start looking at more advanced stuff.

markphaser

The tutorials and kits don't explain about how to change the order,configuration,arrangement, rounting of resistors in series convert to parrallel and to put them in series/parallel

Using Relays and Analog switches with a microcontroller can change the order,configuration,arrangement, rounting of the resistors ?
How?

d95err

Quote from: markphaser on February 16, 2006, 03:55:50 AM

The tutorials and kits don't explain about how to change the order,configuration,arrangement, rounting of resistors in series convert to parrallel and to put them in series/parallel

My PIC starter kit has an exellent "tips and tricks" book. There is also an extensive library of programming examples. On the web, you can find lots and lots of PIC code.

Using Relays and Analog switches with a microcontroller can change the order,configuration,arrangement, rounting of the resistors ?
How?

Ignore the microcontroller at first. Figure out how to implement what you want with manual switches. Decide where you need SPST, DPDT etc. Then you can work on how to get a microcontroller to control the switches.

It would still be easier if you could tell us what it is you want to achieve. Then we can discuss how to achieve it. We know you want to change the order of things, but unless we know *why*, for what purpose? It's difficult to say anything. Is it for signal routing? Programmable tone stack? Where in the circuit are the resistors? In series with the audio signal? To ground? Are they intended to replace a pot?

markphaser

Thanks for the information

extensive library of programming examples? where is this please www.pic.com?

Is it for signal routing? Yes how does the microcontroller do signal rounting?

Programmable tone stack? Yes how does the microcontroller do programmable tone stack configuartion and order please?

won't i need a bunch of Relays that are SPST relays and DPDT relays or analog switches to do this?

David

Duplicate post.

David

Mark, you have an awful lot of reading to do.  Sorry, but there's no other way to put it.  You need to read everything on the following sites:  www.microchip.com, www.sparkfun.com, www.winpicprog.co.uk, www.ucapps.de .  Until you have a background, you won't "know what you don't know" and it'll make getting the information you need much harder to get because you won't be able to establish the proper framework to ask your questions in.

Been there.  Done that.  It's been a long ten months of research, let me tell you.  And I've STILL just scratched the surface.

Your questions aren't bad, they're just too broad.  For example, you can't just ask what the pinout of a PIC is because there are 16-pin, 20-pin 40-pin and probably other-pin PICs.  All with different layouts, memory capacities and onboard processsing capabilities.  You gotta read to know this.

This is probably going to hack you off.  Sorry.  Come back when you've done your homework.  I bet your questions will be less ambiguous and your answers will be a lot more useful.

puretube

markphaser

onboard processsing capabilities

Are u saying there is Built in DSP algorithms in PICs?

Onboard processing like what?

What about signal rounting has does a microcontroller process signal rounting please?

David

No algorithms are built in, dude.  A PIC is an empty page.  All it knows is what you program into it.  If you want it to do DSP, you have to write all the code.  Some PICS have onboard A/D conversion.  I don't know what else.  I'm still learning.  My exposure is limited.  I read, and I continue to read.  You need to read too.

markphaser

But what instruction code goes the signal routing,configuration,order of signals and inputs and outputs ?

Ge_Whiz

Let's come clean over all these threads, markphaser. You are just a wind-up merchant, right? I'd be happy to credit you with an Olympic gold in the event. You're very good. The best. Enough now, okay? Let's all just have good laugh and forget about it.