NEW Passive Mid Tone Control!

Started by nero1985, February 15, 2006, 11:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

I got a bunch of 1.5H chokes and started messing around with some tone controls i had seen but i wanted a mid boost and none of this would give me that sound, so i came up with this one, it will lower you overal output alittle bit but its not too bad, it sounds amazin! i called it FIREHOUSE TONE cuz it sounds like the solo of KISS' song Firehouse, and if you use different caps it even sounds like hendrix solos! its really cool try it, if you need chokes PM me

joelap

Pretty sweet!  I'd like to try that in my new guitar when I buy it... can this do a scoop tone as well?  I never seem to use the tone control in my guitars for my style of playing, but a passive mid boost/cut control could be very worthwhile... Maybe a four way switch with 2 mid boost values, one mid scoop value, and another to bypass the tone is right up my alley.
- witty sig -

nero1985

yeah im waiting for my parts from SBE to build a lucille style tone control so as soon as i get the parts ill start working on it and ill post it

joelap

Awesome, let me know how it goes and post a schematic
- witty sig -

Paul Marossy

Hmm... I have some 1.5H inductors lying around waiting to be used in something. What's the DC resistance of your chokes?

aron

lovekraft0

Looks like you've discovered the Vari-Tone!  :icon_wink:
Seriously, looks like a nice, useful tone control. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get those chokes?

nero1985

Aron had a couple of them and i got them from him

Paul Marossy

Mine are stolen out on an old RadioShack graphic EQ...

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

aron

Also:

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=34864.0

Peter/Anyone,

Is there anything sneaky we have to do to use these inductors (BTW I am getting a few more). Just wire up the primary leads???

Thanks,

Aron

Paul Marossy

Maybe a dumb question, but if I wanted to do this in one of my guitars, would this replace the tone control in my guitar? I'm thinking that a switch that would give me the option of a standard tone control or the Firehouse Tone control could be kind of cool. 

RDV

It'd make a decent pedal with a buffer in front and an adjustable volume recovery after.

RDV

Paul Marossy

QuoteIt'd make a decent pedal with a buffer in front and an adjustable volume recovery after.

Hey, that's an idea. Hmm....