Veroboard...whats it made out of?

Started by Joecool85, February 15, 2006, 12:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joecool85

I was cutting some with my dremel and noticed I could smell it, meaning I was breathing the dust...is that bad?
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

twabelljr

Shine On !!!

Peter Snowberg

All the veroboard I've seen was made of phenolic resin soaked paper; usually just called phenolic board.

Phenolic board is tan to brown and not very translucent.

The most common fiberglass board is stuff called FR-4 and it smells different when you cut it. ;)

Don't breath the powder from either. They're both bad for you.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube

Joecool85

Yeah, thats kinda what I figured.  I guess I'll need to either grab a respirator, or cut stuff outside.  Or cut it differently.  I read a thread about this a while ago and the general concensus seemed to be to use a razor...that didn't really work too well for me.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

vanhansen

You have to score it several times with a razor to get a nice groove going.  Use a straighedge to keep the cuts straight.  Then when you at least have it cut through the surface a little but, just snap it apart.  I use the Radio Shack perfboard and cut it with small cutters.  As soon as I cut in to it at one hole, it snaps off completely all the way across all the holes in a perfect line.
Erik

JimRayden

Hmm, what about the green stuff? Same material?

----------
Jimbo

Ge_Whiz

Brown stuff, synthetic resin-bonded paper (SRBP), as Peter observed. The resin is an epoxy-based material. Green stuff, fibreglass board (but I've never seen it used for stripboard, only PCB).

Peter Snowberg

The green stuff is only green because of a coating of colored solder mask which can also be red, blue, yellow, or black. The board underneath is a fairly neutral translucent beigeish sort of color.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

choklitlove

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on February 15, 2006, 04:48:52 PM
The board underneath is a fairly neutral translucent beigeish sort of color.
beigeish is the best word of all time.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Ge_Whiz

I've spent years twiddling with my amp trying to achieve that 'beige sound' - like the 'brown sound', only lighter.  :icon_lol:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I guess the reason I'm not racist is that I can't take the term "beige supremacy" seriously..
but back on topic, l was just cutting up some stripboard, it's pretty easy to just snap it along the row of holes (put it on the edge of a table and, well, SNAP!)

Toney

One day everyone will be beige.....

Best method, least dust.

Exacto knife/heavy duty boxcutter... score along the holes, join the dots both sides
Use a metal ruler for the scoring....hold it tight in place and.....SNAP

Clean and easy

Noplasticrobots

What about going for that famous Beige Face amp tone?
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

343 Salty Beans

my first stripboard ever...I scored it, then tried to snap it...

I needed 11 strips. It had 20 total on the board.

Naturally, it broke right on the ten-ten line.

I've cut them with my dremel ever since.