True bypassing an old MXR micro chorus

Started by Stompin Tom, February 15, 2006, 02:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stompin Tom

I finally broke down and bought a mxr micro chorus (I think it'll be awhile before I'm talented enough to build my own chorus)... it sounds great! But, like the old Distortion+ it has a crappy SPDT switch that just disconnects the output of the effect. It's far from true bypassed or even boss-style buffering. I was thinking of upgrading to a 3PDT switch so I can true-bypass and add an LED. Does anyone have any experience doing this with the micro chorus? I read that some of these older SPDT bypass effects were designed with signal loading in mind, and when you true-bypass them a volume drop may occur? I'll probably not bother if this is going to happen (I don't want to start modding the circuit), but, if possible, I'd rather have an LED and better bypass system...

Dirk_Hendrik

What's keeping you from trying ;) As far as I can tell this mod is fully reversible in case of  poor results. The simple 3 or 2PDT TB diagram is appliccable to any effect that has an input and an output (as most have). There might be a chance you have to add 2 1Meg resistors in case of popping. What's wrong with a simple mod to increase/decrease the amplitude afterwards? Most likely in will be the change of 1 resistor?
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Stompin Tom

You're right, it'd be easy to reverse if something strange happened to the signal. I just thought maybe someone out there had tried it already...

I'm not sure which resistor I'd have to change to control the volume... somewhere near the output, I assume. The schemo for this thing doesn't seem to exist.