Squaring a triangle wave with amplification and clipping?

Started by varialbender, February 16, 2006, 01:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

varialbender

I've searched a bit, and found some info, but hopefully you might be able to help out.
I'd like to square an LFO's wave, so that it's variable from triangle to square.
To do this, I can amplify this wave and clip it with diodes?
It'd need a lot of voltage, or a lot of amplification, to do this, what would work best?
Thanks

Connoisseur of Distortion

you could also use an open-loop opamp. that would probably do the the job very well.

gez

If you want to gradually change the shape from triangle to square then you need to overdrive an amp that soft clips.  OTAs run at higher supply voltages do this (I could never get the sine shaping thing to work at 9V, but maybe it can be done by dividing down the signal a lot more...I'll have to revisit this) and so do CMOS inverters, though you might want to use regulation and trimpot bias to get even clipping with the latter.

Diodes won't give you much amplitude and you won't get such a gradual mutation from one wave form to the other.  More like, "here's a triangle and now its a trapezoid!"
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

most garden-variety LFOs already got square & tri in them...

expanoncolin did a try some time ago...

finally found the thread:
http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=27948.0