small amp questions

Started by flibbergibbin, February 17, 2006, 12:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flibbergibbin

I'm building a small amp and was wondering a few things. Okay, first off is there a way to add some kind of bypass jack to disengage the speakers so that the amp can be used as a pedal? Secondly, I'm wanting to run the amp at 18 volts but I think it's going to be 9v because I'd like to add a 9v adapter jack. What kind of losses in sound will be apparent with this voltage drop?  I read it is possible to convert a 9 volt to 18 with the MAX1044 and was wondering is the MAX1044A at Small Bear the same? Finally, what would prevent, if anything, the use of pedals with a little amp? Thanks in advance.

flibbergibbin

Sorry don't mean to be a pain but as I mentioned in the thread on op amps I'm going to the electronics store tomorrow. If someone could tell me if there is a bypass jack of some sort to switch off speakers and allow another quarter inch cable to run into it to act as an output jack (to act as a pedal instead of an amp)  I would greatly appreciate it. Really, really, really, really appreciate it. Thanks again.  :icon_redface:

vfr800fiman

The search function is your friend.
http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=31495.0
I build this ruby with a headphone jack (or speaker) that cuts-off
the main speaker when plugged-in. This is just a 1/4" jack that
is switched. Mr. Tremblay helped me with the schematic, take a look
at the post.

I can't help you with the 18v question though, sorry.

Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

flibbergibbin

Thanks the information it's much appreciated. And yes the search function is quite useful I spend a considerable amount of time searching and reading and reading and reading. I tried searching a couple of different things but wasn't positive to even what I was needing. So, I went with speaker bypass jack and well I must have missed your post. I do appreciate your help most certainly and please don't confuse my explanation on the search function with any sarcastic ill will. Thanks.