Transistor biasing

Started by paulS, February 17, 2006, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulS

Hi
    I read the article regarding the dallas rangemaster at the GEO site and I have a question about biasing the transistor. It is a PNP Germanium  transistor( gain is 84) and to bias he suggests replacing Rb with a 100K pot and Re with a 10K pot, then set beginning values to 68K and 3.9K. Ok this far no problem, but it is the measurement I am having a problem with. He states between the collector and ground there should be -6.8 to -7.2 volts, my reading is positive and it is reading +2.8 volts. WHERE AM I GOING WRONG? I have used his circuit but added a 3pdt switch for true bypass utilizing the PNP negative ground layout at General Guitar Gadgets, Is it the negative ground wiring??  Anyway hope someone can shed some light here.

Paul

R.G.

It is the negative ground wiring.

If you have the most negative point in the circuit being ground - that is, zero volts - then everything else must be more positive than that, right? So you can't bias anything more negative than ground.

I don't care for negative ground wiring on nominally positive ground wired old PNP circuits. The theory says it's fine, it can always be done. However, I personally have run into situations where I could NEVER get a negative ground conversion to work. And I'm not a beginner at this.

There are two kinds of people who've done negative ground conversion circuits - those who have had bad problems with negative ground conversions, and those who have not yet had a problem with it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

vanhansen

After reading this, and looking at that article again, and another schematic (the one from Aron's list), I think I goofed big time on mine.  I took the schematic that Aron has listed on the schematics page and converted it to NPN.  BUT I think I goofed up, even though it works.   :icon_redface:

Everything on the schematic is as-is, except for the transistor now being NPN and the eletrolytic caps being flipped around.  But it still works.  Did I do it right?
Erik

vanhansen

Ohh, nevermind, I didn't goof.  My brain wasn't working right when I read all this.  See, this is what happens when the weather goes from 80 degrees one day to 30 the next.  :o   ;) :D  My RM is fine.
Erik