How do I do to have larger earnings in "The Crank" booster?

Started by ANDYEFFECT, February 20, 2006, 08:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANDYEFFECT

How do I do to have larger earnings in The Crank? 

I set up and I liked the very clean sound a lot, more I thought he has little earnings and little overdrive as the pot is at the most. 

How to add other OP-AMP in the circuit for more earnings and more drive?

thanks

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think you mean "gain", not "earnings" (bad computer translators!).
Where is the circuit?

ANDYEFFECT

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on February 20, 2006, 08:52:10 AM
I think you mean "gain", not "earnings" (bad computer translators!).
Where is the circuit?

thousand excuses for my translator. rssss 

he is here the project. 

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/TheCrank?full=1

thank you

Mark Hammer

Well, the point of the Crank was to be only a *little* bit distorted at maximum gain.  If you want to have more distiortion then I suppose what you can do is increase the .47uf cap to ground in the second stage to 1uf, and decrease the 6k8 resistor attached to it to either 3k3 or 3k9.  This will increase the maximum gain in the second stage from about x5.7 to about x10.7.  Because 30k is not a common value resistor, you can change the 30k in the first stage to 33k. 

That may not seem like a big change, but you must remember that the gain in stage 2 is multiplied by the gain in stage 1.  Changing 30k for 33k gives you a maximum gain of x8 in stage 1.  Changing the 6k8 for a 3k3 in stage 2 makes that maximum gain there go from 5.7 to 10.7. 

OLD:  Stage1 max gain = 7.4, Stage 2 max gain = 5.7, combined gain = 42

NEW: Stage 1 max gain = 8.0, Stage 2 max gain = 10.7, combined max gain = 85.6

Depending on what sort of distortion you are looking for, you may want to make some other changes.  I would recommend "softening" the distortion a bit by putting a 1k resistor in series with the diodes in stage 2.

If you want something with more distortion, you should think about using a different pedal instead of modifying this one.

ANDYEFFECT

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 20, 2006, 09:27:54 AM
Well, the point of the Crank was to be only a *little* bit distorted at maximum gain.  If you want to have more distiortion then I suppose what you can do is increase the .47uf cap to ground in the second stage to 1uf, and decrease the 6k8 resistor attached to it to either 3k3 or 3k9.  This will increase the maximum gain in the second stage from about x5.7 to about x10.7.  Because 30k is not a common value resistor, you can change the 30k in the first stage to 33k. 

That may not seem like a big change, but you must remember that the gain in stage 2 is multiplied by the gain in stage 1.  Changing 30k for 33k gives you a maximum gain of x8 in stage 1.  Changing the 6k8 for a 3k3 in stage 2 makes that maximum gain there go from 5.7 to 10.7. 

OLD:  Stage1 max gain = 7.4, Stage 2 max gain = 5.7, combined gain = 42

NEW: Stage 1 max gain = 8.0, Stage 2 max gain = 10.7, combined max gain = 85.6

Depending on what sort of distortion you are looking for, you may want to make some other changes.  I would recommend "softening" the distortion a bit by putting a 1k resistor in series with the diodes in stage 2.

If you want something with more distortion, you should think about using a different pedal instead of modifying this one.

yes my friend, thankful for the explanations. 

I don't want distorção.... I want a natural overdrive, I analyzed the sound of this project and I liked a lot,   

I would just like more to have a more little of overdrive and a little of volume.   

Do you get to increase to this circuit two OP-AMP to have a larger volume? 

I thank you

Mark Hammer

Usually, fuzz pedals will have a gain of at least 200-300 or more, so an overall gain of around 80 will not achieve extreme distortion, especially if the clipping threshold is raised by using a 2+2 diode combination (as used in the second stage).  But you WILL get a lot more output and more distortion if you make the changes I suggested.

In the stock design, the gain-change is very smooth as you move the control.  With these changes, I don't know if the gain-change will be as gradual as before, but it *might* be.

With the extra gain, you can try the "stupidly wonderful tone control" ( http://ampage.org/hammer/files/SWTC.gif ) just before the volume pot to smooth the tone out a bit.  I would suggest a 2k2 resistor in series with a 10k pot, and a .01uf cap to ground from the wiper.  That will achieve a rolloff around 7.2khz at max treble, and a rolloff around 1.3khz at min treble.  That isn't a strong tone-control but if will soften the distortion tone a bit to sound "rounder".

ANDYEFFECT

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 20, 2006, 10:29:12 AM
Usually, fuzz pedals will have a gain of at least 200-300 or more, so an overall gain of around 80 will not achieve extreme distortion, especially if the clipping threshold is raised by using a 2+2 diode combination (as used in the second stage).  But you WILL get a lot more output and more distortion if you make the changes I suggested.

In the stock design, the gain-change is very smooth as you move the control.  With these changes, I don't know if the gain-change will be as gradual as before, but it *might* be.

With the extra gain, you can try the "stupidly wonderful tone control" ( http://ampage.org/hammer/files/SWTC.gif ) just before the volume pot to smooth the tone out a bit.  I would suggest a 2k2 resistor in series with a 10k pot, and a .01uf cap to ground from the wiper.  That will achieve a rolloff around 7.2khz at max treble, and a rolloff around 1.3khz at min treble.  That isn't a strong tone-control but if will soften the distortion tone a bit to sound "rounder".

yes I made the modification now in the lunch, 0.47 for 1. and 6.8 for 3.3, it was more very good like me he/she said I want this same sound, more I also want more volume. 

the page is not in the air. 

http://ampage.org/hammer/files/SWTC.gif 

Mark Hammer

Quote from: ANDYEFFECT on February 20, 2006, 12:34:16 PM
yes I made the modification now in the lunch, 0.47 for 1. and 6.8 for 3.3, it was more very good like me he/she said I want this same sound, more I also want more volume. 

the page is not in the air. 

http://ampage.org/hammer/files/SWTC.gif 

I am not sure why it does not work for you, but the link works for me.
I am glad the changes gave you a sound you like.

TELEFUNKON

Mark Hammer

He means that he is not being tricked by what is already stored on his computer.  It was the first time he used that link, and it worked.

I see that English is not your first language.  Maybe you could say what language/s you speak well, and if someone here knows that/those language/s they can do some translating so we can help you more.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Portugese. I know we have some Portugese speakers here!!

ANDYEFFECT

sim eu falo português e meu inglês infelizmente e de Globalink, rssss

yes I speak Portuguese and my English unhappily and of Globalink, rssss

Marcos - Munky

I speak portuguese too. If I can help with something, just tell me.

About Mark's site, I don't know why, but almost every time it's offline in the area I live. I think our internet providers can't conncet to a few website servers, and the one Mark is hosted is one of them.

Olá André. Se precisar de alguma ajuda com tradução, me diga. Não tenho um inglês muito bom, mas é o suficiente pra conversar com as pessoas aqui do forum e pra entender textos e outras coisas.

Mark Hammer