Professor tweed - tone control and noise?

Started by shawsofhell, February 21, 2006, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawsofhell

Just finished one of these using the PCB layout on the ROG site. Sounds pretty nice however there is quitre alot of noise at all gain settings and when I turn the tone knob it doesn't appear to do anything, the tone of that the circuit is "stuck" on is not bright or muddy. Is the tone control really subtle or have I stuffed something? I have a feeling these two problems might be related.

Ge_Whiz

Mine is a bit noisy at high gain settings, but not when it's turned down. The tone control is definitely not THAT subtle. All I can suggest is that you go through the build carefully - there's a fault to be found somewhere.

shawsofhell

ok did a pretty thorough check today with my multimeter and all the pots are wired properly and I can't find any shorts or breaks in the traces which leads me to believe there is a dodgy component. Any ideas on how to locate it?

tiges_ tendres

I recently built this project and posted some findings which should be easy to sarch for. 

I've found that tone controls on both this pedal and the supreaux are quite subtle, but VERY interactive, just like a real tube amp.

I was playing through my ruby with the volume low, but the tone maxed, and my wife told me that I was attracting dogs!  A quick turn of the tone, maybe ten percent, quickly cured that.

I didn't really find too much of a problem with noise.  Maybe you might be having a problem with your Jfets?  They do have a reputation for being of differing quality.
Try a little tenderness.

shawsofhell

Did a pretty thorough test with the multimeter and found all the jfet votages to be good. I also checked for bad traces and found that all the components are connected correctly. The pots all are correctly wired. It must be bad components!!!!

THe fact that my tone control exhibits little change I'm thinking that one of the capacitors in that area may be bad. I will begin replacing components tonight I think.