Stereo Switching Jacks?

Started by Finch, February 21, 2006, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finch

Does anybody make a jack that you can use for power switching while still having stereo signal out?  For instance, running magnetic pickups and piezo pickups side by side but still cutting power to the piezo preamp when there's no plug in the jack.  Thanks!

Finch

Ortiz

Use two mono jacks and use a 2 mono to 1 stereo adaptor.

Otherwise I don't think it's possible without some special jack or something.

The Tone God

Do you want both mag and piezo out one jack and to switch power with that ? If so you can't use the ol' stereo jack power trick. You will need to use a jack with an internal switch.

Andrew

Paul Marossy

QuoteYou will need to use a jack with an internal switch.

Kind of like a switching stereo headphone jack?

Finch

Yeah, that's what I figured.  So does anybody make a stereo jack with an internal switch?

Also, just for the sake of clarification for those who are confused, this is what I'm talking about:
Magnetic pickups---->Tip
Piezo pickups-------->Ring
Ground--------------->Sleeve
Plus power switching, this is the issue...

Thanks everybody
Finch

AdamB

I thought thats what stereo switching jacks are for (I think you can buy them from here or smallbearelec.com ), they have 4 pins, ground, channel 1, channel 2, and a 'switch' pin. The switch pin connects when a connector is plugged into the jack.

-Adam
[indifferent::engine]
http://www.indifferentengine.com

The Tone God

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 21, 2006, 07:27:05 PM
Kind of like a switching stereo headphone jack?

If its what I think your talking about then yes.

Quote from: Finch on February 21, 2006, 07:39:37 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured.  So does anybody make a stereo jack with an internal switch?

Its clear now. You will need a jack with an internal switch. There are a couple of companies that make them like switchcraft and neutrik but finding them is the tough part. Mouser might carry them and maybe a few other online places. I can't think of any online distibuter that I know for a factcarry them. Time to do some research.

Andrew

Finch

Excellent!  Yeah, I've checked SmallBear and here, but I'll look at Mouser.  Thanks!

Aaron