Arion SCH-1 vs SCH-Z ?

Started by solarplexus, February 23, 2006, 08:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Which is better?  The SCH-1 or SCH-Z?  Is the rumor true that the first one sounds better or there is no difference at all?  Is it the same circuit?
DIY Poser.

Doug_H

I have never compared them side by side. But I have the older one (sch-1?) and have listened to clips of the newer one (sch-z?) and I don't hear any difference. Of course YMMV, what can you tell from a clip, etc, etc... It's a good chorus but IMO where it excels is in the fast speed where it doesn't sound warbly or seasick like other choruses and flangers can sound. It's pretty quiet too. It definitely needs a repackage though.

In any case I kind of suspect that the sch-1 vs.sch-z thing is just internet hype. But it only costs $19.99 to find out.

Doug

wampcat1

Quote from: solarplexus on February 23, 2006, 08:33:27 PM
Which is better?  The SCH-1 or SCH-Z?  Is the rumor true that the first one sounds better or there is no difference at all?  Is it the same circuit?

Another effect manufacturer friend of mine actually reversed engineered both. According to him, the only difference in the two is the price the old ones fetch on ebay.

Brian

goosonique

My fav SCH-1 ... tried heaps other... beats them all flat. i have not considered a diy chorus either after owning SCH-1. :icon_lol:
What i like is the tone control ... its so usefull. There is a slight differance but not significant compared to SCH-Z....the rest is vintage hype. :icon_confused:
Go get it...so cheap !!!!
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

burnt fingers

I have looked at this thing in the MF catalog for a long time.  I always blew it off thinking it would be noisy or crappy sounding.  I guess I'll throw $30.00 their way and see for myself.

Always good to have a little chorus in the gig bag just in case I want it. 

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

MartyMart

They sound exactly the same to me, a friend has both !
Just another "Ebay Hype" thing ...

Try to find either a "Pearl CH-2" or an old "Aria CH5" Chorus ( metal case ) both
of these are wonderful, the Pearl also has a "mix" knob for fully wet Vibrato mode !!

BTW the Flanger from the same series is great, nice fast "leslie" tones are
there as well as normal Flangey stuff

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

wampcat1

Quote from: burnt fingers on February 25, 2006, 12:34:35 AM
I have looked at this thing in the MF catalog for a long time.  I always blew it off thinking it would be noisy or crappy sounding.  I guess I'll throw $30.00 their way and see for myself.

Always good to have a little chorus in the gig bag just in case I want it. 

Scott

Nope, I use both the bass chorus AND the stereo chorus from arion. It's beat every other chorus I've put it up to IMO (and I've tested it against 'boutique' choruses as well). Ce-1? beats it. Ce-2? beats it. Boss dc-3? beats it. small clone? beats it. on and on. My opinion, anyway! ;)

Just noticed! $20 at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=150501

Take care,
Brian

Fret Wire

I see that the SAD-3 is down to $24.99. Not a bad price for an anolog delay. Delay time is 50-200ms. Other than the BBD's (3208 vs 3205), it's basically the same as the SAD-1 (50-300ms, 3205).
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

solarplexus

Thanks for the info guys!

Hey Martymart... I have an old Aria PS-10 Phase Shifter, made in Japan.  Its one of the best phase shifter I ever had, more on the high end, but really trippy.  I love Aria pedals, they are really underrated.  Each time I see one on ebay, its always when I don't have money to spare and it makes me sooooo sad! ehehe
DIY Poser.

Doug_H

I think I've moved to the "next level" in my chorusing. :icon_mrgreen:

My boss ps-5 blows away "standard" stereo chorusing with it's "detune" mode. And for fast leslie sounds I prefer my roto-machine. :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

However, the arion compares favorably with most "standard" choruses, and for the money it is a great buy. If anyone is on the fence I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I think they can be had for around $20, :icon_wink:

Doug

solarplexus

Hey Doug,

I also have the ps-5 from boss, but I never use the detune mode just because I use the harmonist mode alot (but just in 12th harmony).  This is maybe OT but, have you ever experience very bad tracking from the pitch shift mode ?  My ps-5 is really on key with the harmonist, but in pitch shift, it is always a semitone off, not nice at all...
DIY Poser.

Processaurus

Quote from: Doug_H on March 03, 2006, 02:55:47 PM
My boss ps-5 blows away "standard" stereo chorusing with it's "detune" mode. And for fast leslie sounds I prefer my roto-machine. :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Doug

I like the detune too! much better then the stuff I've worked hard to make :icon_cry:.  Its kind of undeniable.