TELL ME IF THAT PEDAL IS POSSIBLE

Started by Ibanez_Guy, February 23, 2006, 09:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ibanez_Guy

I want a pedal that does this... if possible.... im sure anything is possible though....

I need a pedal that works as both a volume pedal, and as well be an expression pedal when i need it.  It needs to be kinda like an A/B thing, or with 2 outs and ins.  The closest retail thing i have found is the boss FV-300L (and im still not clear if that would even be close to what i want...). So; i have  modded DD-5 which i will use an expression pedal for.  Now its not like i will be using this pedal often, and the same goes for my volume pedal, however they will be used, so with pedalboard real estate in mind, i want to combine the two.  So i need a 2 outs, 2 ins expression pedal, one set for volume, and one for the DD-5 with the ability to A/B them without cutting the signal when i don't want to use either. 
If i use the boss pedal the way it is, i could put a kill switch between the DD-5 and the expresison pedal so when i don't want it on i could still use the volume pedal, but i can't do the reverse without cutting out my whole signal.  email me if you want an extremely rough diagram of what i need, or if you have any suggestions that would be helpful, and if i am making no sense to anyone, just call me a looney (but at the sametime email me in secret with any suggestions, i won't tell anyone....)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The first problem here, is to say exactly what you want the expression pedal to control. Because, different bits of gear want different expression pedals, varying forom an actual control voltage that is generated by the expression pedal, to mono leads tht connect a varying resistor (maybe 50K pot, maybe 100K! maybe 500K who knows??), to tip/ring/sleeve systems.

The second problem, is to say what you want the gear the expression pedal is plugged into, to do when the expression pedal is being used as a volume pedal. If you leave the expression pedal plugged in, then you will need to switch over to a dummy pot (or, bypass the controlled pedal).

What you want to do is probably quite possible (and maybe not difficult!), but, one has to know exactly what gear you are using. And I can see it being very difficult ot do with a single footswitch, but if you can handle using a couple of switches, that will make it a LOT easier.

Ibanez_Guy

I will just tell you ALL my gear that i am, or are planning on using for this pedalboard.

Guitar  -> Vox wah  ->  Boss DS-1 w/ Ultra Mod  -> Boss Chorus  ->  boss DD-5  -> volume pedal (the one in question)  ->tuner  -> amp

so my DD-5 has a added jack to control the 'D. Time' knob as well as the standard tempo jack.  So i have a momentary footswitch out of the tempo jack, and i will need a expression pedal to control the 'D. Time' knob (i think thats voltage control, but i don't really know, im still a little new to all of this).  What i am trying to do is find someway to have an expression pedal that can double as both the volume, and DD-5, via a custom circuit or some compination of kill switches or AB's.  Any thoughts?

Also i'm terribly sorry for my horrible grammar in the subject, it should be "tell me if THIS pedal is possible" but yeah.... im a musician, gimmie a break

Ibanez_Guy

trying to get pictures to work..... (my first night on this forum)

Dave_B

I'm imagining a box similar to this one on Pete's site.  The buttons would switch from the wah to the individual opto's (or whatever you'd use).
Help build our Wiki!