Happiness Is...

Started by LyleCaldwell, February 24, 2006, 12:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LyleCaldwell

Drilling out 13 boxes and not making any mistakes!

Much better than the box I drilled yesterday, only to have some holes mysteriously offset.  Turned out my drill press was loose on the post - tightened those screws up.  Fixed the offset holes with Bondo (I love Bondo).

But I'm glad I didn't have to Bondo 13 boxes:

What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

burnt fingers

Man I wich I had a drill press.  I have yet to perfectly dirll a box.
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

jonathan perez

seriously...i have to do it all super meticulously...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Doug_H

Looks nice.  :icon_wink:

I don't know where I'd be without my drill press...

BDuguay

Remember when we used to say that about the internet :icon_wink:
B.

Processaurus

Lyle, thats pro that you drilled little holes for the locator tabs on the pots to index them.  You probably know this but a drawback is that you can see the holes if your knob choice is small, or if the knob sits up high.  I tried this recently and ended up putting a round sticker around the pot shaft to cover up the hole in an un-obvious way, it actually worked out well because the sticker could also act as a graphic with knob setting marks.

Are the 17 going to all be the same design? to sell? to use?  17 big muffs in series?

goosonique

Quote from: Processaurus on February 24, 2006, 07:59:07 PM
Lyle, thats pro that you drilled little holes for the locator tabs on the pots to index them.  You probably know this but a drawback is that you can see the holes if your knob choice is small, or if the knob sits up high.  I tried this recently and ended up putting a round sticker around the pot shaft to cover up the hole in an un-obvious way, it actually worked out well because the sticker could also act as a graphic with knob setting marks.

Yup those holes let moisture in ....very bad.
Try to avoid if possible.
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

LyleCaldwell

Quote from: Processaurus on February 24, 2006, 07:59:07 PM

Are the 17 going to all be the same design? to sell? to use?  17 big muffs in series?

I'm using the Davies knobs like Fulltone/Keeley, so the locator holes won't be visible.  These are a limited edition reissue of the Guyatone Zoom pedal from the early 80s.  All 13 are already sold to various U2 freaks.  It's a simple but good sounding pedal that Edge used on the first few albums.  Very rare these days, and going for over $300 when you find one.

I'll post more on this project soon - I'm halfway done wiring the circuit boards, and half the enclosures have the primer and color coats on them.  It started to rain so I couldn't finish painting everything today.

psionicaudio.com

LyleCaldwell

Quote from: goosonique on February 24, 2006, 10:27:03 PMYup those holes let moisture in ....very bad.
Try to avoid if possible.

So does an empty expression jack or unused stereo jack.  I'm not too concerned - the RC Booster has the same locator holes.

As a player, I'm much more concerned with jacks and pots staying tight than I am with whether a pedal is waterproof.  But then again, I can hold my drink.

psionicaudio.com

LyleCaldwell

OK, here's one (of the thirteen) populated PCBs with pots attached:

And here's a functional test pedal next to a painted enclosure awaiting clearcoating:

psionicaudio.com

Peter Snowberg

NICE! 8)

That's a great looking board.... metal fim all over the place. :)

I don't see many polystyrene caps in effects. Very cool.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

LyleCaldwell

Thanks!  As to the polystyrenes, I just searched Mouser for the values I needed, and the choice was limited.  The polystyrenes were the only options in the values I needed that would fit in the available space.  They are very pretty, though.

psionicaudio.com

343 Salty Beans

you're full of crap, that enclosure ain't painted  :D

no, seriously, how'd you get that done?

LyleCaldwell

psionicaudio.com

343 Salty Beans

well, it turned out really freaking nice. I bet the U2 addicts (myself included) will love that.

LyleCaldwell

The schematic is at http://filters.muziq.be/model/vox/vshaped/1901 if you want to make one for yourself.  Sounds nice!

psionicaudio.com