transformer coupled splitter RG Keen - Hum Query.

Started by coxy46, February 27, 2006, 03:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy46

I have built the RG Keen Transformer coupled splitter. Everything works it respect to that all the outputs have a signal at them. One problem. Compared to the direct out (which is totally hum free) the other two outputs hum, the only way to stop them humming that I can find is to earth the output jacks. (but surely that just defeats the whole object of building it!).
Has anyone any ideas as to how to eliminate/lower the hum to the same as level as the direct out?
Or is this the norm? Are the other outputs always going to hum more than the direct out?

Cheers in advance ,
Coxy46

coxy46

The only bit i haven't done with regards to the original schematic, is the bit with the dotted line around it.
http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/splitter.gif

As I am just running it off two 9v without any switching.
The dotted line circuit is only for switching both the batteries on using a stereo jack socket , and can therefore be disregarded, correct?

coxy46

Ok guys I have tried a few ideas out on previous posts, but still isolated outputs 2 &3 are humming, while the direct out is perfect.
I tried RG Keens post on adding a 47K resistor between the isolated output ground and the direct output ground. This does indeed tame the hum, but it is still humming noticeably louder.
Any help is much appreciated on this.
Coxy46