The Noob 9000 - My New Test Rig

Started by dano12, February 28, 2006, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

I've been playing around with building effects for about a month now and I am hooked. But as I'm building and testing circuits, all the external connections (power, input jack, output jack, LED, switches, etc). are become a big chore. I'm always using twisted bits of wire and alligator clips and it is a big mess. What's worse, I have to visually trace every external connection to find what's what.

Last night out of frustration, I build a test rig out of a Hammand enclosure, a piece of plywood, barrier strip and various bits and pieces. Now debugging and testing is much easier, especially for a noobie like me.

I also added a big analog voltmeter and wired a pot in line with the 9v input. That way I can play with voltage sag in any circuit I'm working with. I'm sure that seasoned veterans have much better test rigs than this, but for an evening's work (and my first try) it turned out pretty well :)

Lessons learned:
1. Don't use crimp-on connectors. They suck. I had to go back and solder every crimped connection.
2. Use shielded cable on the inputs and outputs. While my test rig works fine, it is noisy and adds about 12 inches of unshield wire to the circuit path. I'll go back and fix that.
3. I love panel meters.
4. Never solder wearing shorts.

-dano

BDuguay

phaeton

Nice Work! (seconded)

I'm still stuck in the clips and wire mess stage:

I should note (before anyone copies this) that i've had to rearrange the 1/4" jacks (input is now on the left) and also move the power in jack on the left side of the top (closer to the switch).  There were scads of noise/interference/radio problems before.  I've often debated lining the inside with AL foil or something to sheild it because it's still noisy.  I just spent the weekend shortening up all the wires i've soldered alligator clips to, and also making a set of jumpers with the 'duckbill' ends on them because they go into the rings of potentiometers really nicely.

I even considered writing a tutorial about building a workstation such as this.

Though I think yours might work better in its simplicity and rigid construction.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

dano12

That's very cool. I hadn't even thought to make the breadboard part of the design. Plus with the hinged top, you can pop it open very easily to rearrange and add components, very clever.

And you have more knobs and fiddly bits!

-dano

Quote from: phaeton on February 28, 2006, 04:08:20 PM
Nice Work! (seconded)

I'm still stuck in the clips and wire mess stage:

I should note (before anyone copies this) that i've had to rearrange the 1/4" jacks (input is now on the left) and also move the power in jack on the left side of the top (closer to the switch).  There were scads of noise/interference/radio problems before.  I've often debated lining the inside with AL foil or something to sheild it because it's still noisy.  I just spent the weekend shortening up all the wires i've soldered alligator clips to, and also making a set of jumpers with the 'duckbill' ends on them because they go into the rings of potentiometers really nicely.

I even considered writing a tutorial about building a workstation such as this.

Though I think yours might work better in its simplicity and rigid construction.

vanhansen

That is awesome.  Making a test rig is something I have been wanting to do.  I was going to use part of a VCR enclosure for it but dummy me through THREE of them away after taking the parts I wanted off them.  Oh well. 
Erik

twabelljr

I am definately planning to make something like that also. It is very clumsy testing things on a breadboard with wires, pots, and jacks all over the place with your guitar cable pulling on em'. You guys have some good ideas. Have you seen Paul Morossy's at http://www.diyguitarist.com/? Freakin' incredible! (look for DIY guitar effects prototyping board)
Shine On !!!

phaeton

Actually I don't have that many fiddly bits.  I intended on adding all sorts of stuff like various pots and switches, and connecting them to those screws poking out there.  That way I could just clip and stick and stuff.  I got as far as adding that DPDT switch in the bottom left corner, but I haven't completed it yet.  I've got some other ideas, but for now I've just been aligator clipping everything and making a huge mess.

The flip top is a real treat, btw.  It's also where I store all my jumper wires and clips and stuff ;)
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

mikeS

dano, 

I like the setup, I noticed you have 3 switch tabs and none labeled for the variable or am I missing something?  do you have a ground out? or are you grounding everthing to the hammond?  any way of seeing the inside?  sorry so many q's, I also am new and have the same frustration and want to build one. any details would be very helpful.

dano12

Quote from: mikeS on May 11, 2006, 03:11:26 PM
dano, 

I like the setup, I noticed you have 3 switch tabs and none labeled for the variable or am I missing something?  do you have a ground out? or are you grounding everthing to the hammond?  any way of seeing the inside?  sorry so many q's, I also am new and have the same frustration and want to build one. any details would be very helpful.

Hi Mike,

The one poteentiometer on the box is to control the voltage so I can sag it below 9.x volts to see how that effects the circuit. If I turn the knob fully clockwise, it lets the full DC through. Just another option for the test rig.

For the switches, I never got around to connecting the second toggle switch or the stompswitch. So they are essentially spare parts I can raid if I need to. The jacks are screwed into the enclosure just like standard jacks as is the power supply.

There's s bit more information here:
http://beavisaudio.com/Projects/TestRig/

and info on the 9v sag circuit here:
http://beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Hope the helps and welcome to DIYStompboxes!

mikeS

thanks I found the site, GREAT, btw.  I definitely will be building a test rig.  I listened to the mp's, what guitar and amp setup are you using?
How long you been doing electronics?  great work, definitely thinking "outside the box"

mike

dano12

Quote from: mikeS on May 12, 2006, 03:21:57 PM
thanks I found the site, GREAT, btw.  I definitely will be building a test rig.  I listened to the mp's, what guitar and amp setup are you using?
How long you been doing electronics?  great work, definitely thinking "outside the box"

mike

Which clips? I think I used my Gretsch for the ruby, a standard strat for the dr. boogey and a les paul deluxe for the fuzzlab.

Been tinkering with electronics since I was a boy. Only been doing pedals and amps since december. Good luck with the DIY addiction!