Is this a working layout

Started by manson, March 03, 2006, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manson

Hello, I have a question about my Fuzz Face pcb.

This is what I want to make, but i'm not sure if it's a valid, working pcb layout. Would you have a look at it, and tell if it's any good?
Please help me out cause I think something could be wrong with this.

Oh, in the first pic, connection points from top to bottom are:
1 = input
234 = ground
5 = +9v
6 = volume pot
7 = fuzz pot

Larger schematic:
http://members.lycos.nl/mansonfok/gitaren/fuzzface_schema.jpg

I'm especially unsure about the input with the 1M pulldown resistor, and the 9volt input.
I've used 2 mono jacks, and only an 9volt adapter plug grounded to the input jack's sleeve.

Thanks for your time and comments :)

manson

Nobody here can help me with this? I'm worried if the input is correct, with the 1m resitor there..

nelson

That is the fuzzcentral PCB, yes its verified.

The 1m resistor at the input is correct. Its an anti-popping resistor.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

manson

Thanks for your reply!

It is indeed the FuzzCentral pcb, but I made some modifications to it. Actually I left some components out and re-routed the input a little. So is't not exactly the same anymore. And I'm just not sure it this is gonna work...

nelson

Looks fine to me.

I take it you have just changed the input cap and are planning to put the 22uF cap to ground off lug 2  offboard?

The 1m resistor is connected to ground fine.

Build it.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

manson

Yeah I took the 22uF off the board to put it directly onto the Fuzz pot. Changed the 0.22uF input cap to the original 2.2uF. But there is a more important change. FuzzCentral's Axis Fuzz makes use of a third pot they call the "Smooth" control.

This is what FuzzCentral mentions about the Smooth pot:
"The pot should be wired like this: Lug 1 attached to the input, Lug 2 (the wiper) attached to the base of Q1".

That's what you see in the first picture. Smooth1 and Input signal on 1st & 2nd connection points on the board. Smooth2 to the 3rd, the 0,22uF.

I got rid of this smooth control cause my fuzz should not be smooth! Wired the input to connect to the 1M resistor & the 0.22uF cap together. This is what you see in picture 2 which is my own layout.

But isn't the input signal connected to ground now? Or does the 1M prevent the signal from going there? I know the resistor is there to prevent popping from true bypass switching.

Still think this is correct? I don't like to build a not working effect. See I'm still a rookie on electronics, so sorry to bug you with obvious questions..

Thanks for your time, you're realy helping me out!

nelson

For our purposes the 1m prevents the signal from going there.

All the smooth pots does is act as a "pre gain" you can utilise your guitar volume control for this function. What you have done in connecting the 0.22uf cap directly to the input is correct. Your layout will work.

Good luck!

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

manson

Whoa that's great! I'm gonna build it as soon as I can. A friend is gonna etch the pcb for me. I'll let you know in this thread when it's working. Thanks again nelson!
;D

manson

There is one more question I'd like to ask. I left the battery connector out, because I only want a dc jack input. But I'm not sure how to wire it. Ofcourse the +9v goes onto the board. But where must the ground go to?  I want to use 2 mono jacks, not 1 stereo, because there's not need for switching off a battery.

Can I connect the dc ground to the sleeve of the input jack, which actually connects it to the metal case? I should also run a ground wire from the board's ground to the same input jack sleeve. But then i could also connect the dc input ground to the board's ground...

What's the best way of doing this, avoiding hum? Thanks.

nelson

Quote from: manson on March 08, 2006, 10:22:45 AM
There is one more question I'd like to ask. I left the battery connector out, because I only want a dc jack input. But I'm not sure how to wire it. Ofcourse the +9v goes onto the board. But where must the ground go to?  I want to use 2 mono jacks, not 1 stereo, because there's not need for switching off a battery.

Can I connect the dc ground to the sleeve of the input jack, which actually connects it to the metal case? I should also run a ground wire from the board's ground to the same input jack sleeve. But then i could also connect the dc input ground to the board's ground...

What's the best way of doing this, avoiding hum? Thanks.

I just join 1 jack sleeve to ground, and the board to grd at one point. Thats two wires leading just to the DC jack ground. Since the switch is usually quite close to the jacks I wire the LED ground to one of the jacks. This makes the chassis grounded and grounds the other jacks sleeve. So no need for that other wire.

Avoiding hum in a fuzz face isnt hard. You could run the grounds pretty much anywhere, aslong as they are all connected you will be fine.

Its all about whats easier/closest, atleast in a fuzz face.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

manson

Ah, but i haven't even planned for a led in there myself, figuring you'll notice when it's on anyway from all the fuzzy noise :) So I'll just run 2 wires, one from the jack and one from the board, both to the dc ground. Thanks again nelson

manson

It's alive! Just finished soldering it after some delay, and it works perfectly! I have BC550's in right now but I'm gonna try all sorts :D
Thanks for your help!

nelson

Quote from: manson on March 16, 2006, 11:16:00 AM
It's alive! Just finished soldering it after some delay, and it works perfectly! I have BC550's in right now but I'm gonna try all sorts :D
Thanks for your help!

Your welcome.

I like CV7112 germs in a fuzz face.

Would be cool to see some pics.

Congrats on your build.

:)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

manson

Here are some pics. They're a little big so I'll just post the url's.

The print and parts:
http://members.lycos.nl/mansonfok/gitaren/ff1.jpg

The inside:
http://members.lycos.nl/mansonfok/gitaren/ff2.jpg

The outside:
http://members.lycos.nl/mansonfok/gitaren/ff3.jpg

The chickenheads are not very usefull, too large. They will be replaced by MXR of Fulltone knobs. Also, I just painted it matt black, fancy decals are of later concern to me :)