Confessions of an addict. (Show us your bench.)

Started by nelson, March 04, 2006, 12:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

To date, I havent built 1 tubescreamer. (although there is a board for one on there somewhere)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

jrem

Quote from: nelson on March 04, 2006, 12:48:26 PM
To date, I havent built 1 tubescreamer. (although there is a board for one on there somewhere)

nor have I, nor have I.

http://jrem.webhop.org/stuff/addict

and that's not all of it.

bioroids

Eramos tan pobres!

bluesdevil

It's funny how things can get out of hand so quickly!!!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

ErikMiller

JRem: nice Tektronix T922.

My favorite scope for the audio repair bench.

jrem

Quote from: ErikMiller on March 04, 2006, 03:43:14 PM
JRem: nice Tektronix T922.

My favorite scope for the audio repair bench.

yeah, thanks,  that's the one thing I wish I bought when I was a kid.  So many projects were so close but I didn't have the right tools to debug them.

That is a decent scope, it's not perfect, I bought it used for $50 about six years ago on ebay.  It isn't perfectly calibrated, and it's washed out at higher speeds, but it's a lifesaver.  Dual channel, external trigger, up to 15mhz, works for me.  Got a couple of BNC to RCA adapters, then I just use the real cheap shielded audio cables with the molded RCA plugs on them, cut them in half, instant probes.  Solder on a piece of single strand wire and they plug right into breadboards.  Doesn't do capture and compare, though, which would be nice but I think I would rather have a PC scope to do that, like http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28014.

petemoore

no way on the pics.
  I have a Large, flat Door, mounted between the ceiling/floor boards and the floor, @ 36'' because I'm tall.
  12'' Under that I dowel/hung a long tray/shelf.
  Stacked Dowel 'tables' [more like shelves on the door/table really] and tall cardboard boxes I glued shelves in go along the back and sides of the 'main work area' which gets cleaned and grows to 3' when necessary, stuff keeps growing back in like bushes...just...'everything' keeps making the work area increasingly populated with 'stuff'...cereal box bottoms with caps, another with resistors, another with transistors, another with 'misc.', and one that has what was scraped off a shelf to make room for some project that has 'front burner' status....like when I made the tube amps, I'd just scrape off the transistor stuff into a box...lol/// :icon_mrgreen:
  Boxes on floor, piles of PCB's for scavvin' off...on the floor, in boxes...I routinely sweep the part of the floor I'm going to walk on, and let the rest rest...but occasionally I use a snow shovel to fill large trash container, and go on an hour long sorting session. I like keeping most of the 'generic' stuff about 1/2 sorted...anything I can make a small pile out of gets a tray made from a certain size box bottom or clear bag, something that can be seen through or stirred... ::)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

I've posted this before but here goes. It's what it ends looking like eventually anyway.

RDV

brad

Well...I just breadboard on the top of my bass amp, so no bench for me!  I keep all my breadboarding stuff in one small cardboard box and all my soldering stuff in another for eas storage.

Here's a pic though!  The regulator on my tube power supply was getting so hot that it could burn your finger, so went overkill with some heatsinks  :P  It still gets pretty freakin' hot, but I'm sure it could be solved in a pedal by using some thermal compound and screwing the regulator to the inside of the enclosure...

Dave_B

Here's the bench I built last fall.  The wire and solder spools are in a little shelf thing next to the receiver.  The breadboards currently underway are a Bi-Filter, a Blackfire and some abandoned PIC stuff.  Note the awesome Marshall practice amp I picked up for $2, and the variac that some Internet goons yelled at me for buying.

A little further back showing my Bassman head (sitting on the speakers and currently on a 2x6 jig).  The top shelf of the bench is a graveyard of old e-drum projects, tube amps, a Gauss speaker, and a Commodore 64. 

Finally, my trusty 1947 Delta Drill Press, with some sawdust from yesterdays project.

Help build our Wiki!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Nelson, that looks just as terrible as mine. ;D

EDIT: Actually, my messk looks more like RDV's.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

cx_deluxe

Here's my bench as of the 15th... all the stuff you see is someone else's.

Currently the second bedroom in our 2br apartment serves as home office, library, workshop, darkroom, paint booth, brewery, den...  No pic.  It's ridiculous.  Several floor to ceiling bookcases, milk crates full of salvaged electronics, racks of bottles...  I'll be glad to move into the new house...

hairyandy

Here's mine.  Yes, I am indeed the messiest slob on the planet.  It's a wonder that I can get any work done at all, but my screwy mind actually has this weird inventory that knows exactly where everything is under all that crap!  Note the old Altec tube signal generator, one of my best Ebay finds ever!

I built both of the benches (there's actually 2 there in an "L" shape) from the plans here: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20.html.  I bought the track lighting at Lowe's along with the bench materials and I think it all cost me less than $100.

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Mark Hammer

Oh hell, that's what my space looks like after I clean it up for company coming over!

David

Show you my bench?  And have it declared a Superfund site?  No way!

barret77

Andre

Paul Marossy

Here's how mine looked last year. It still looks the same and is just as neat. I just have some more recording stuff to the left of the main work area now.