Violent chip removal tip

Started by gulliver, March 04, 2006, 02:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gulliver

I modded my TS-5 for swapping chips and was having a heck of a time getting the stock one off. Of course, the boards on these aren't exactly military spec, so you need to be extra careful. Solder braid wasn't doing it, my solder sucker sucks, and you can't heat all 8 leads at the same time to pull it out.

I ended up shattering the chip with heavy duty pliers from the top. I good squeeze and it exploded into a million pieces. From there I could heat and pull each lead out, one at a time. I use surgical pliers that clamp on so I can use my hand to pull. After removal, the solder braid cleans it up nicely.

I used IC Socket; Mouser part number 575-113308 to swap chips. So far so good, sounds great.

gez

"You're only meant to blow the blaahdy doors off!"

OK, obscure reference, but you can just snip the pins off then yank them with pliers and the iron.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

H.Manback

The italian job! Do I win a prize? :icon_wink:

Desoldering can be a pain in the ass sometimes, I guess a real desoldering station would do the trick, but to spend that kind of money on something you rarely need... :icon_rolleyes:

gez

Quote from: H.Manback on March 04, 2006, 05:43:21 PMThe italian job! Do I win a prize?

Not a lot of people know that!  :icon_razz:

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

birt

so weird. i just saw that movie on TV an hour ago and saw an advertising right after it for the "old and new" DVD set :icon_lol:
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

gulliver

Quote from: gez on March 04, 2006, 05:11:34 PM
"You're only meant to blow the blaahdy doors off!"

OK, obscure reference, but you can just snip the pins off then yank them with pliers and the iron.

I tried, but could only get to one of them as it was surrounded by components.

The Tone God

"Want some chicken ?"

Funniest line in that movie. The original of course.

On topic sometimes you can cut each of the legs off the IC and then desolder each one so you don't have to wedge or heat the whole board up.

Andrew

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: gulliver on March 04, 2006, 02:39:03 PMSolder braid wasn't doing it,

I wonder why. I use the time and especially on simple non double sided boards it works perfectly.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik on March 05, 2006, 05:40:59 AM
Quote from: gulliver on March 04, 2006, 02:39:03 PMSolder braid wasn't doing it,
I wonder why. I use the time and especially on simple non double sided boards it works perfectly.

If you couldn't get close enough to cut the legs, I'm damned if I can see how you could use a solder sucker or braid there!

gulliver

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on March 05, 2006, 07:41:21 AM
Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik on March 05, 2006, 05:40:59 AM

If you couldn't get close enough to cut the legs, I'm damned if I can see how you could use a solder sucker or braid there!

Well, you would cut the legs from the top of the board and solder suck from under it.

The braid works well for clean-up once the components are off, but when they're on it seems like you need more heat as the heat gets drawn into the component. If you've ever worked on one of these boards, you know how careful you need to be, you really can't keep heat on it for a long time.

Noplasticrobots

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

krisphelps

Hammer + Flathead = ineffective but fun!
Hey everyone!  I like Stuff!

http://KrisPhelps.com

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

TheBigMan

I've always found it best with TS-5s (modded maybe a dozen or so) to concentrate on one pin at a time.  Several to all of the pins are usually bent into the centre of the chip to offer some mechanical strength to the joint, so they have to be bent back straight very carefully.  I lift them with a scalpel blade, if they won't come up then try a little more heat.  It's very easy to rip the solder pads off those boards if you aren't careful.  I've been lucky, never destroyed a board or an opamp yet.  Dunno what I'm going to do with all these TA75558Ps that I've got lying around though.   ;D

brett

Hey RG.  Cool idea about the toothpick.  I've always re-drilled the holes.  Which is ok if the hole is only covered on the copper side of the board.  However, it's a real pain in the butt if the solder has filled the board, and there's no starting hole (or even a bump) where you're trying to re-drill.
Thanks for the neat trick.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)