Can I use a charge pump with the Neovibe?

Started by powerplayj, March 07, 2006, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

The charge pump worked well with my PT-80.  Is there any reason not to use it with a Neovibe?  I did a search and did not see too many topics regarding the two used together.

Thanks,

Jason
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Ucho

Sorry for bringing to life this old thread

I was looking for infos on Neovibe and Geo's Charge Pumps, so you can use it with the usual 9v Power Supply daisychain which powers all other pedals...

I've read this thread.

I'd like to ask you, powerplayj (or everyone else), if you've tired it (using the 'standard' 9v PS with the charge pump to power the NeoVibe), and how does it work.

Also, since the CP should give +17V (or +25V adding one more 'stage'), while the NV pdf talks about 18-24V dc, if there's any benifit in pumping 9v to 17v vs 25v.

BRingoC

I was thinking the same thing about that charge pump, I'm starting to get parts for the neo-vibe and wanted to make one of those pumps for it.  The fulltone vibe runs on 9 volts, I presume that it obtains an 18v chargs the same way, as you can see some pics on his site of the 9v->18v converter in-line box, which you can be sure is a charge pump.
Since when is 3/4 of the way up "cranked"?

R.G.

Which charge pump you gonna use to run that 25 to 50ma incandescent light bulb?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

markusw

Quote from: R.G. on August 20, 2007, 08:56:42 PM

Would a LT1054 work? It is supposed to provide up to 100 mA.

Ucho

Quote from: R.G. on August 20, 2007, 08:56:42 PM

Ops .... I didn't thought about that  :-[
Thanks for pointing it out

I was thinkink about using the MAX1044 CP on your site and a 12V-20ma bulb... but now I realize that maybe it won't give all the current I'll need...

DeeBug

QuoteWhich charge pump you gonna use to run that 25 to 50ma incandescent light bulb?

So, has this question been settled yet?

Would the MAX1044 work or not?

Would a LT1054 work or not?

Morocotopo

I tried a ICL7660S based charge pump (equivalent to the MAX1044 chip) to get 18V. It worked, but marginally, at slow speeds the lamp didn´t light enough to make it work, and in general the sweep wasn´t as good. So I think charge pumps are marginal for the neovibe power requirements.
On the other hand, I used a locally bought lamp, I think a 12V one but I don´t remember the current rating, but it´s physically bigger than the ones I see at Smallbear as advertised for the neovibe. So, MAYBE, with a low current (voltage?) lamp, it could work...

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

markusw

Quote from: DeeBug on August 21, 2007, 10:29:35 PM
QuoteWhich charge pump you gonna use to run that 25 to 50ma incandescent light bulb?

So, has this question been settled yet?

Would the MAX1044 work or not?

Would a LT1054 work or not?

I assume if the bulb draws 25-50 mA it might work with the LT1054. Have a look at the data sheet to check how voltage drops with current but I believe it should be OK.
The LT1054 is actually pretty cool because you can feed it with up to 15V. So in theory it could give you between  up to 30V (most likely just 28-19V).

Markus

DeeBug

Cool.  It would certainly take me a while to figure out equations for voltage drops and whatnot (I'm finding less and less time for this great hobby, unfortunately).  But at least the LT1054 sounds promising so far.

How about the pinout.  Is it the same as the MAX1044?  I'm considering using the GGG circuit board.

plankspank

The 1044A will not work reliably with the neovibe- I tried it. As R.G. says, The circuit was drawing about 60- 70 ma, and the 1044a is rated at 10 ma, I believe.

powerplayj

I ran the charge pump with my Neovibe but do not recall the mA on the lamp.  After purchasing an 18V adapter for my A/DA Flanger clone, I scrapped the pump in lieu of the adapter.  While I could never calibrate my Neovibe to get rid of the strong throb with or without the charge pump, I didn't experience any other issues.....I guess I may have been flirting with disaster unless my lamp had a much lower draw than 25mA.

That being said, if your mA draw is less than your supply, I wouldn't press your luck.........  That's one heck of a build to be troubleshooting for fried components. 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Auke Haarsma

I tried with a MAX1044 chargepump a couple of days ago. It fried my IC (for obvious reasons...I understandnow ;) ). So don't use the MAX1044 (or equivalent).

Ucho

I'm glad this thread has gained some interest.

I was looking at LT1054 Datashhet and some AppNotes from LT website.

Is it possible to post some of the schematic from those documents so we can discuss them?

Auke Haarsma

Yeah, those documents are freely available on the internet, right?

slacker

yeah posting a link to the datasheets is fine.

Ucho

Sorry for being late.

Here you can find LT1054 datasheet/appnotes.
At page 10 there's a "Positive Doubler" (the circuit is very similar, if not identical, to MAX1044 doubler from Geofex). On Vout it says "50mA"....

Topopiccione's Clone Theory uses a similar charge pump with an LT1054 (the site is not reacheable at the moment, here's a link to CT page from archive.org)

So do you think it can work with the neovibe? It seems it can only provide 50mA....

gnognofasciani

If you use a 555 as a voltage multiplier you can have 200mA output current  ;)
I think that even a 4049 voltage multiplier has a higher output current than a max1044...but i'm not sure :icon_redface:

P.s. Ciao Ucho  ;D
Search button is your friend

Ucho

Quote from: gnognofasciani on August 29, 2007, 04:15:46 PM
If you use a 555 as a voltage multiplier you can have 200mA output current  ;)
I think that even a 4049 voltage multiplier has a higher output current than a max1044...but i'm not sure :icon_redface:

P.s. Ciao Ucho  ;D

Uè gnogno, e mò me lo dici !?

Do you have more info about how to actually do it? Some schematic maybe...

Ucho