Soldering temperature question.

Started by skiraly017, March 09, 2006, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

Changing from using a 20/30 watt iron to a digital temperature soldering station. What temperature should I be working at for effects? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Peter Snowberg

It depends on your skill, speed, and what you're soldering.

A good rule of thumb is to use something around 600. Go a little colder if you can and the rosin will do more with less residue. You also won't have to clean your tips as much. I usually have mine around 550 unless I'm soldering jacks or pots or something big. For production line work you may find 700 is a better temperature so that you can work quickly.

Try 500 for a little while. Later try 550, and then 600. See where you can most comfortably work.

Congratulations on your new iron! 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

skiraly017

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

H.Manback

That's Fahrenheit for the Celcius people here :icon_lol:, just in case someone tries to put their station on maximum temperature and look very surprised that the iron is spitting all over the place :icon_wink:

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

DDD

Peter,
could you please explain us the following: 600 F = ? C
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Johan

Quote from: DDD on March 10, 2006, 02:07:51 PM
Peter,
could you please explain us the following: 600 F = ? C

Cx1,8 +32 = F  ..I believe.. 
....so 600-32/1,8= 315C.. I little low I think...I prefere 370C ( the no7 tip for weller magnastats "wtcp"-types )
johan
DON'T PANIC

twabelljr

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

I cheated  ;)   I use 700F and it work well. But, if you don't get a good joint right away and hang around too long, sppppiiiittttt!
Shine On !!!

Connoisseur of Distortion

400C. very fast soldering, but you HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

i know this from experience, because soldering too long turns the stuff into that pasty crap that sticks to the iron and doesn't cling to components.

on the brightside, you can touch-feed-release in about half a second.