New build, Finally with Photo!

Started by nunocaldeira, March 10, 2006, 08:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nunocaldeira

Hi

I just built a JFet Vulcan. Joe Davisson's design, Gringo's PCB, some etching ideas (from some forum users) for the enclosure.
It sounds awsome!! I'll try it tonight in a gig.

I haven't  a camera now to post a picture.. but I'll do it meanwhile.

Nuno Caldeira

nunocaldeira

here it is...

edit: links removed

I overetched it a lot but I like this soviet look... I is sturdy as it looks... and, did I mention it sounds great?
I renamed it because "vulcan" doesn´t sound as good in portuguese as it sounds in english...
Hope you like it.

Nuno Caldeira

ezanker

muito legau (very cool)!!
Would love to hear sound samples if you get a chance as I am considering building this one.
Erik

nunocaldeira

Quote from: ezanker on March 14, 2006, 06:28:10 PM
muito legau (very cool)!!
Would love to hear sound samples if you get a chance as I am considering building this one.
Erik

Obrigado! (thank you) :D

I will record something for sure... It´s too late to make *noise*...  ;)

Nuno

$uperpuma

MAN.. that looks great! Where can a guy get more info on that etching process? that looks VERY cool. Hope it sounds great! ;D ;D ;D
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

nunocaldeira

Quote from: $uperpuma on March 14, 2006, 06:48:45 PM
MAN.. that looks great! Where can a guy get more info on that etching process? that looks VERY cool. Hope it sounds great! ;D ;D ;D

Go to the Wiki (in the menu on the top of this page)... That´s where I first saw etched boxes...
Indeed, I really like the way it sounds....

$uperpuma

HMMM...the actual info page is not coming up... maybe the pages havent been transferred...

nunocaldeira

Quote from: $uperpuma on March 14, 2006, 07:33:33 PM
HMMM...the actual info page is not coming up... maybe the pages havent been transferred...

I didn´t knew it wasn´t working.
Try searching the forum...

Anyway, I did it like I do PCB's...
I used staples photopaper (glossy) and did a photocopy of the layout (in this paper). Ironed it, pealed of, and masked the rest of the box with electrical tape... (Do it before drilling, or the etchant will get into the box, and the screw holes - You don´t want that...)

I will do some more with this technique... I've got to improve it, for better results.

(You may get better results with Blue PnP - I never tried it)

Hope this helps

Nuno

$uperpuma

holy crap.. I never thought of that... ferric chloride? I have that from etvhing my pcb's... guess I should have thought outside the box....(as it were)  :icon_mrgreen:

nunocaldeira

Quote from: $uperpuma on March 14, 2006, 08:51:15 PM
holy crap.. I never thought of that... ferric chloride? I have that from etvhing my pcb's... guess I should have thought outside the box....(as it were)  :icon_mrgreen:

I don't know about other etchants but ferric chloride reacts with aluminum in very ethusiastic way. Dilute it a little bit... Some people said they saw flames (Is it?).  ???

I didn´t have flames, or (visible) fumes....  :icon_cry:

Good Luck!

Nuno Caldeira

deadsnake

Muito loko seu pedal ai...... Cara como voce fez esses "carvings" no metal.... muito animal msm. ;)

Bom Trabalho!

(Sorry but this is personal.........)

Marcos - Munky

Deadsnake, o Nuno é de Portugal, então eu presumo que ele não entende gírias e abreviações que usamos no Brasil. Esse acabamento é a mesma coisa que você faz na placa, com o percloreto de ferro e a caneta ou de outro modo, mas ao invés de usar uma placa ele usou a caixa.

nunocaldeira

"E aí? Fala brother!"
Percebo bem o vosso português...
Eu toco essencialmente MPB. O baterista e o baixista da minha banda são cariocas (na verdade são de petrópolis, perto do Rio),

Abração "cara" e obrigado pelo elogio,

Nuno Caldeira

Marcus, thank you for the portuguese explanation of the process.