A lot of headway this weekend.
Well it all works!
Things are a bit more cluttered now.http://www.voodooengineering.com/release/cluttered.jpg
I had to use a Logic Analyser on the PC pictured to sort out the timing.
The serial commands are not too slow, in fact they are a little too fast for the MT8816.
I had to slow down the strobe using a ms of delay to keep it stable.http://www.voodooengineering.com/release/cluttered2.jpg
I'm currently switching from two patch setups.
Guitar to Amp
Gutar to Destortion Pedal to Amp
It switches fast and clean without an popping even and I'm not grounding out the Amp between switching like R.G. discussed.
(Though that may still be needed with longer patches.)
The ribbon cable I'm using to connect the audio I/O boards to the router board isn't affecting tone or sound at all.
When I scope the before and after audio signals the traces are identical.
I need to make the test I/O board with more input and outputs and hit Mouser for some more jacks.
I also need to add 8 EEPROMs to store the patches and recall them.
I figure I'll use the 24LC512 EEPROM and stack them up for 512k of memory.
So I'll probably draw up a couple more boards to send out to ExpressPCB this week.
I also got some cool navigation switches from Sweden this week for providing user input.http://www.voodooengineering.com/release/h29194.jpg
Still working on the user configuration code, but I got some ideas now that I'm actually setting up patches.
I think at first I'll provide a user screen to name the effects and assign the jack pairs.
Then a user screen to select the effects and put them into a chain, then write it to a memory bank/channel.