Tube guy, first SS build. Got some germs and perfs ready to rock! what to build?

Started by tubes, March 12, 2006, 11:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubes

Ok, I went to my local electronics store with a list of germs and bought the following,  2 ac176k's, 2 ac176's, and 4 ac125's.  That is all that they had on my list so I went for it they were only $1.50 each.  After I checked the NTE site I found that the ac125's are PNP and the ac176's are NPN but the ac176k's are PNP *note: they are NPN not PNP. site lies..  I don't quite have my head around the whole PNP NPN thing yet but I guess I need to alter the circuit if I want to change them around but what about using one of each?  I also read that Germs are heat sensative,  I build tube amps, I use heat.  What should my digital iron be set on? I am going to set up a test station for them based on the article I saw on this site.  But what should I build with them?  strieght up fuzz face? or do these tranys lend themselves to particular circuits?  I could use a good boost pedal that might drive the tubes just a bit.  Not realy a fuzz head but I could find use for one from time to time.  I had intended to build a vox tone bender but on further resurch I found that a tele and a ab763 would be to bright for it.

This is my first time on the forum.  You input is apreciated.  I can help with most tube questions but SS is new to me.
My tube builds to date have been:
Vibroverb clone (with lots of custom mods)
Matchless hotbox
Matchless Vibrobox
Dumbox, a Dumble OD preamp in a stomp box (see my profile pic)

Kris

krisphelps

Hey Kris, My name is Kris too!  Wow, now we're like brothers lol.

I can't help you out too much, but you mentioned heat sensitive, for that just use sockets, that's the only question that I really can answer for you... So I hope that helps even just a little bit.  Have  a great night!
Hey everyone!  I like Stuff!

http://KrisPhelps.com

rockgardenlove

To convert from one to the other, just flip all the polarized caps and switch the (-) and (+) battery inputs.

petemoore

Look up Fuzz Face, search here...google...
  For FF...
  It sounds like you'd might like to consider
  Socketting...
  Transistors so they can be swapped, and not overheated when installed.
  Input cap so you can limit the amount of bass getting in to you and your PU's tastes
  Output cap too so you can truly test FF variability
  Use a trimpot instead of Q2C Resistor [usually marked 8k2 or so], that way you can re-bias quickly after transistor swaps.
  Change something...look at changing everything else including gain setting, guitar volume settings...cap values? etc. ...after a while you sort of get used to what this 'n that does in a FF. Bias after every Q swaps.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jrc4558

GErmanium transistors indeed can be damaged by excessive heat, so set your soldering station at the minimal temperature possible and use heat sinks while soldering (e.g. an alligator clip on the pin between the body of a transistor and place of soldering) That should keep the transistor safe.

jrem

Build the fuzz face first for fun.

You're going to want to set up a test jig to get the gain values off of your transistors.  Just like tubes, the gain of identical values change, so one set might sound magical and then next like ass.

Search Mr. Keen's site for, oh, just go here http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm, print this off, study it, then start building it.  You'll have fun.  Plus, you can work on this stuff without one hand tied behind your back standing on a wood skid.

tubes

Thanks guys,

I am going to build the "many faces of fuzz" (socketed fuzz face) to start.  I built a test jig yesterday and I think I killed a transistor already by putting it in wrong.  It burnt my fingers when I took it out and it gave me wacked readings.  I need to look at this stuff a little closser.  What is the correct selection on my DMM to read the curent on the collector?  this is my multimeter http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-997943dt.jpg  Maybe I don't have the correct functions on this one?

Well it is allot of fun doing this stuff but it's the "old dog new tricks" thing for me.  I have so much tube amp building info in my head it makes hard cram this stuff in.  It is nice not to worry about taking 400v arm to arm, ouch! I know that hurts, I've done it but only... twice.  But I don't want to let my guard down.  The biggest kick I am on, is the drop in cost.  Thats why I am getting into it, my pocket book is getting tiered of dropping all that money transformers...

So fuzz face it is.  Next I wan to build one called the peppermill then I am going to bite off a big one and try the Dynaross and OS in one pedal. Does anybody know of a "Niel Young" pedal?  If you know what I mean?  I think he may have used a little fuzz on some of his solos.  I might have to wait until I get a humbucker in my back up tele and a "Wang Bar".

thanks,
Kris

tubes

Ok, Mr Keens site makes more sence to me, than the other one I was on. I got it now. I will try again tonight.

tubes

Ok, it works! here are my test results:

ac125's
118G/202L, 105G/162L, 148G/217L, 264G/201L

ac176k's *note these are not PNP as per NTE website they are NPN. Does it ruin them if you hook 'em up backwards?
67G/112L,44G/107L

ac176d's
126G/183L and I didn't test the other one after I found it had 330 leakage

Do these test results look normal?  The 264 gain ac125 was the one I cooked last night but it only leaks.  I marked them all with masking tape and I will still keep the bad ones just to try in the sockets anyway.  You never know.

Thanks again!
kris

b_rogers

i have a few ac176's and i like the way they sound. most of mine are about 175hfe...i personally think they sounded best in a tonebender style circuit or just a single tranny clean boost.

heat means something is wrong! 

the lower gain ones will sound better in the FF style circuits...

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

tubes

Ok I tried the ac125's and they sounded muddy and not to fuzzy.  so I swaped them for some nte 158's without even testing them and that hit the spot right on.  Wow I never knew how great a fuzz face sounded and only just realized that I have been listening to them on records for ever and did't know it. I don't have alot of use for the gain knob, I find that max is the best sound and then I use my guitar volume to tame it down a bit.  I socketed the transistors and the in/out caps.  I will start messing with different caps soon.  It only took me the afternoon to build and now I have years of Fuzz Face tone to play with.  Thanks for the help.

hmmm, why is it called a Fuzz "Face"?

kris

Noplasticrobots

Can I just say how odd it is that this is your first SS build?  You must come from the OLD old school.  ;D
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

tubes

I'm only 28.  I realy like the sound of true tube overdrive and that is all I wanted. So my first build was a tube overdrive.  I am only getting into SS to lower the cost of my hobby but it is starting to grab me a bit.  It keeps me out of the pub... well most nights.

kris