Anyone have manual for Korg X-911?

Started by Wild Zebra, March 14, 2006, 02:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Zebra

Not sure if this should be in the lounge, but I'm looking for this manual.  More for the literature than the schem.  I know the schem has been posted.  If anyone has scans that would be awesome.

Thanks
"your stripes are killer bro"

Wild Zebra

Thanks, but no I saw those.  I'm kinda looking for all the other stuff, besides the technical.  I pretty much know how to use it.  I just want to read the manual see what it has to say about certain settings, all the input and outputs, etc.  Like for example.  It has CV out, so can I hook it up to a 1v/per octave synth and still have each note.  And I think the korg trig and gate are different than normal gates and triggers.

Mark Hammer

Yeah, I think those are different in terms of level or direction.  Given that it is a contemporary of the MS-10/20, et al., and other Korg mono synths, I would imagine that any of the manuals for those pieces of gear might say something pertinent about the outputs on the X-911.

There are also trigger/gate convertors for interfacing different brands of synths from that era.  I know I have an Electronic Musician article with a trigger/gate type convertor article for interfacing different brands.  Damned if I could tell you which brands they were!

Wild Zebra

If I recall, they are S-triggers.  I'd like to know how to make an adapter if you find that article.

Dan N

Sorry, I have never ran into a user manual on the web.

Korg did make a unit so you could interface their stuff with other systems. Cykong has a cool page on it:

http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Korg%20MS-02/KorgMS-02.htm

Mark Hammer

Here's one example: http://www.doepfer.de/faq/gen_faq.htm#S-Trig

Here's another: http://www.blacet.com/S-trig%20to%20gate.gif

Actually, there is a surprising amount of stuff on Korg triggering and the S-trigger (as opposed to V-trigger) systems.  I'm pretty sure you can find something out there that will provide, if only in bits and pieces, all the needed tech info.  I'll try and find the article, though.

UPDATE:  Several hours later, and I've gone through a couple of binders of synth schems and articles.  No luck...yet.  Only a couple of binders to go....although it may actually be in the magazine itself, not a binder.

Wild Zebra

Thanks, I'll do a little poking around.  Thanks for the links.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't know whether that CV out is Oct/V or Hz/V.
I would suspect the latter, because 1. it is a hell of a lot easier! and 2. that is what the contemporary Korg MS10 and MS20 uses.

GFR

I think I have the user manual. I'll search my HD.

Wild Zebra

Paul, I'm pretty sure its Hz/V, so excuse my ignorance, How do they differ?  How do I convert to use with Oct/v?  I'll do some poking around, but any help would be appreciated.  GFR that would be SWEET!!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Wild Zebra on March 15, 2006, 10:38:02 AM
  Paul, I'm pretty sure its Hz/V, so excuse my ignorance, How do they differ?  How do I convert to use with Oct/v? 

The Hz/V, has frequency directly proportional to voltage.
So, if 440v was 2volts, then 880 is 4V and 1760 is 8v etc
(not the actual numbers).

Wheras, with oct/v, if middle c is 4V, then the c below is 3v,
the C above is 5v etc. (not the actual numbers, probably).

Advantage of the 2nd, is that to transpose an octave, just add a volt.
Plus, have the same % freq error for a .01v error all over the range.
Plus, you can cover a big range with 10 volts.

but, to convert..... it's a bitch. think temperature stabilised or
compensated exponential voltage converters.

GFR

Ooops, false alarm. I don't have the user manual. Sorry for the confusion.