Range Master with pics

Started by DryRoasted, March 15, 2006, 02:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DryRoasted

Heres the result of last weeks endevours, an NPN Range Master clone, it distorts a tiny bit but adds a really nice boost.  When I bread boarded it I'm sure the potl didnt act like a volume control (zero output when turned right down, but definately worth building :)  My neatest build so far, but thats not saying much

Thanks to Spudulike for the trannies!

Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

freak scene

where can i get those inline transistor sockets?

petemoore

Small Bear has them, break off as many pins as you need..
  Real nice looking box/paint job !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DryRoasted

Thanks, Getting the paint to dry in the uk in winter is a real pain, I left it on a shelf in the kitchen in the end.  Gf compained about the smell though :(

Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

spudulike

Nice neat pro build, and I like the paint job. Nice one  :icon_cool:

Peter Snowberg

Congratulations! That looks great! 8) 8) 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

343 Salty Beans

8mileshigh

Dry Roasted,

What transistor did you use ?  I used the NOS Hitachi that Small Bear sells and I'm not crazy about the tone.  It works well but it doesn't distort enough and when it does it's spitty.  I invision my ideal rangemaster giving up the OD goods a bit easier and being a lot smoother. I tried an AC188 but it wasn't biased quite right so I'll need to put a trim pot in there a see how it sounds.

Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

DryRoasted

I used an OC140 from Spud!, and it came in a paper bag older than I am.  As for the chicken head knob...well after trying out a few the chicken head sounded better than the round ones  ;D

I'm thinking about trying to bias it a bit better, I just followed the Dragonflies strip board layout component for component, but I guess it doesnt take into account different trannies (?)  Putting this infront of a D+ (homebrew naturally!)is awesome for harmonics though, try it and see!

vanhansen

That looks really nice.  That's the same tranny I'm using.  I really need to start painting my boxes...LOL.  I'm too lazy though and just want to wire them up and play.  All my enclosures are the plain 'ole aluminum color they came as labeled with a Sharpie on the back edge. :D
Erik

DryRoasted

lol painting boxes is the bane of my DIY'ing life, I thought hard bit would be the circuits, but no the hard bit is getting the boxes to dry with out an oven.  I sprayed a box metallic red last weekend and it still feels tacky :(

freak scene

what was the pinout of your 140?  i assumed the red dot indicated the collector, but someone mentioned that on theirs the red dot was the emitter.

DryRoasted

Lol Im not sure to be honnest, I tried it both ways and it sounded the same to me

MartyMart

Quote from: freak scene on March 17, 2006, 07:28:05 AM
what was the pinout of your 140?  i assumed the red dot indicated the collector, but someone mentioned that on theirs the red dot was the emitter.

On the OC140's the red dot is the emitter.
It "works" but will sound a little different when BKWDS !
Try a 20k trimmer at the collector, you can bias it to sound great then .
Nice lookin R'Master BTW :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

rockgardenlove