News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tone Icons

Started by R.G., March 15, 2006, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Totally.  My 18W point-to-point doesn't really measure up against my PCB JTM60, but we're not comparing apples with apples there, are we?  What I find intriguing are the people who like stuff *in spite of* technical evidence that it's not very good.  I guess that makes them different, and being different might be really important to them.  (you can sort of see that when people buy cars as an extention of their personality). 

What am I saying?  Yeah, Tone icons are tomfoolery in a technical sense.  But if those same criteria were applied to retailing, advertising, religion, statehood....?  Is anybody seriously going to challenge those powerful institutions just because they don't make any technical sense or don't have any evidence to back up their claims (or reasons for existence)? 

(Me, I'm a materialist.  No physical evidence, I don't believe.  Ever.  In a sense I am living the rejection of the Tone Icons that exist in so many areas of our lives.)

As an aside, Karl Marx viewed this sort of non-technical tomfoolery as an unavoidable weakness in capitalism and sought to remove it from communism (not very effectively, I'd say). 

Merry Xmas to everyone.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Steben

You guys aren't JCM900-lovers i hope, since I haven't even seen a simple "true" as reply...  :D

No really I understand the priority of the PTP-technical discussion.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

amz-fx

Quote from: Doug_H on March 16, 2006, 09:44:42 AM
Wanna have some fun, R.G.? Post this at the Gear Page, 18W Forum, or HC. Then stand back...

You think DiYforum gets a little out of control sometimes?  Here's one at TGP that is getting lively...  read it before it is deleted

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=198135

-Jack

$uperpuma

I guess I missed CJ's original rant... and he may well be saying what all of you veterans  say to yourselves when a newbie starts a new thread "I'm thinking of building some tubeydistortoboostscreamingbrownmojozone pedals to sell anyone have any advice?".... frustrated at people who "copy-tilize"  without paying any dues of education or originality... good message...sounds as if the delivery was a bit off the mark.... he does make a nice sounding pedal, props to whomever was involved in its design..:) 
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

JimRayden

Quote from: amz-fx on December 26, 2006, 09:47:56 AM
Quote from: Doug_H on March 16, 2006, 09:44:42 AM
Wanna have some fun, R.G.? Post this at the Gear Page, 18W Forum, or HC. Then stand back...

You think DiYforum gets a little out of control sometimes?  Here's one at TGP that is getting lively...  read it before it is deleted

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=198135

-Jack

Aaaand.... it's gone. Before I got to page 3.  :D

---------
Jimbo

Paul Marossy

Funny how people's personal convictions (based on fact, perception, interpretation or experience) can cause very heated debates, isn't it?!  :icon_wink:

brett

Personal convictions and heated debates? 
I'm off to a music festival with my 16 year old daughter....
At some time in my life I'd like to try negotiating with terrorists, just so I'd know for sure which of the two is more difficult.   :icon_wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Paul Marossy

QuotePersonal convictions and heated debates? 
At some time in my life I'd like to try negotiating with terrorists, just so I'd know for sure which of the two is more difficult.

That's funny!  :icon_lol:

RDV

I respect Clay a lot and have never had a cross word with him but he has a bit  of a contrarian's nature. He seems to thrive on conflict.

RDV

JonFrum

Quote from: brett on December 27, 2006, 06:58:45 AM
Personal convictions and heated debates? 
At some time in my life I'd like to try negotiating with terrorists, just so I'd know for sure which of the two is more difficult.   :icon_wink:

How to raise a child: "Place the child in a barrel and feed it through the bung-hole until it is seventeen... then pound in the bung." ---Mark Twain .