So, I have decided I am going to build an EH Attack Decay.

Started by nelson, March 15, 2006, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Hi guys, gals, hermaphrodites.

Fresh from my success of cloning the polyphase (project documentation coming soon @ toppiccione). I have decided I would like to give the EH attack decay a crack.

Now, I can only find one schematic in the schematics section of this great site. However its unclear in places. I am sure there must be other schematics floating around.

If you have one, could you please PM me.

Also, with ROHS ever approaching I think it would be a good idea to replace the CA3080 with LM13600 and the MN3007 with BL3207 (assuming they are ROHS compliant).

If anyone has any suggestions, pointers or general advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to offer a PCB layout for this one.
Originals are scarce and cost atleast $500 whenever they do come up for sale.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

zachary vex

i have one in perfect working order that i'll sell you for $750.  8^)  i think you'll find it's a bear to build... there's a zillion components and i've never seen a more clear schematic than the one online... mine came with a schematic and it's terrible... unreadable in lots of places.

newperson

where/what is toppiccione?  i have both of these EH pedals.  I am interested in seeing how close yours sounds to an original.  the attack decay is cool, but a true reverse (like on a boomerang) is so much better sounding. 

-paul.

Zero the hero

Good luck, bro, and count on me!!!
I don't know what's happening on 4047, it seems it's only connected to the -15v supply.

Quote from: newperson on March 16, 2006, 01:51:51 AM
where/what is toppiccione? 
Click on the oranges  :icon_wink:

nelson

Quote from: zachary vex on March 16, 2006, 01:01:01 AM
i have one in perfect working order that i'll sell you for $750.  8^)  i think you'll find it's a bear to build... there's a zillion components and i've never seen a more clear schematic than the one online... mine came with a schematic and it's terrible... unreadable in lots of places.

$750  :o :o

I have a clearer redrawn schematic on the way from a kind forumite.

If you would like to help Zachary I would love some good board pictures to compare with the schematic.

:icon_cool:

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

hank reynolds 3rd

I remember reading somewhere that this pedal makes an audible 'click' at the end of notes,does this happen on yours mr vex ???
Damn Nelson, you've got some good stuff on the go  ;D ;D ... I'm slloowwllyy getting to the octave multiplexer deluxe ,just sourcing some cA3094's from ebay (going to try the 13700 trick aswell though) ,but the basic version is up and running at Zero's site  ;D

Sam

nelson

Quote from: hank reynolds 3rd on March 16, 2006, 09:40:19 AM
I remember reading somewhere that this pedal makes an audible 'click' at the end of notes,does this happen on yours mr vex ???
Damn Nelson, you've got some good stuff on the go  ;D ;D ... I'm slloowwllyy getting to the octave multiplexer deluxe ,just sourcing some cA3094's from ebay (going to try the 13700 trick aswell though) ,but the basic version is up and running at Zero's site  ;D

Sam

Damn that board is big(octave multiplexer). Also, there will be legal issues with using the original board layout.

It may be worth redrawing the board.

If you would like I could take an hour or so and redraw it?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

hank reynolds 3rd

Go for it ....As far as I know, the boards been changed a bit by Zero (well, the on at the site was done by him,going off the original trace)...I did a layout on PCB that'll fit a BB sized box (hand drawn aswell,pretty thick traces... I just got some PnP yesterday ,for the first time attempt at something fancy  :icon_mrgreen: ) ..Also,with the 2n5457 ,you have to really twat the strings to get it to work ,I've ordered some 2n5485's that should do the trick :) ...I also found a real easy mod,by putting the fet in the wrong way around, It sounds like the octave's having a fit !!!  :o

jrc4558

I've had interest in this pedal as well, and still do. However, since virtually no technical documentation exists in the digital form, it's still a far cry from even an attempt at cloning on my part. Good luck, Nelson!

jrc4558

nelson

Quote from: Constantin Necrasov on March 16, 2006, 10:35:58 AM
BTW: did you consider e-mailing this dude and asking for a schemmo?
http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~cur402e/schem/eh.html

I have emailed that guy before. When I was hunting for a polyphase schemo, he wasnt too helpful.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Quote from: hank reynolds 3rd on March 16, 2006, 10:27:22 AM
Go for it ....As far as I know, the boards been changed a bit by Zero (well, the on at the site was done by him,going off the original trace)...I did a layout on PCB that'll fit a BB sized box (hand drawn aswell,pretty thick traces... I just got some PnP yesterday ,for the first time attempt at something fancy  :icon_mrgreen: ) ..Also,with the 2n5457 ,you have to really twat the strings to get it to work ,I've ordered some 2n5485's that should do the trick :) ...I also found a real easy mod,by putting the fet in the wrong way around, It sounds like the octave's having a fit !!!  :o

I believe 2N5458 is a direct substitution for 2N4302. Its what I used in the clone theory.

I bet you could fit the octave multiplexer in a 1590B.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

bwanasonic

If all you want is a good swell effect and reverse effect, the Line 6 Echo Park works well and is reasonably priced. The swell effect can be *played* in a controlled manner with playing technique. You can get it to stay *open*, allowing normal attack, and then get it to re-trigger for swell notes. I also get a lot of use out of the reverse effect (and of course the delays!).

Kerry M

nelson

Quote from: bwanasonic on March 16, 2006, 12:51:26 PM
If all you want is a good swell effect and reverse effect, the Line 6 Echo Park works well and is reasonably priced. The swell effect can be *played* in a controlled manner with playing technique. You can get it to stay *open*, allowing normal attack, and then get it to re-trigger for swell notes. I also get a lot of use out of the reverse effect (and of course the delays!).

Kerry M

Its more about the building and providing a layout for other people to build.
I am gradually working my way around all the pedals EH havent reissued and modifying the hell out of them.

Opamp muff
Echoflanger (I know its been reissued, but it isnt the same)
Polyphase
Clone Theory

and now the attack decay.

Someone also sent me a layout for the original graphic fuzz that needs some work.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X